- Chet Snow's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Categories: WikiTree Leaders | Snow Name Study | Huguenot Migration Project | Mayflower Project | Mayflower Descendants On WikiTree | United Kingdom | New Netherland Settlers Project | US Southern Colonies Project | MatchBot MPs | En | Fr-4.
"A Genealogist must have the patience of Job; the curiosity of a cat; the stubbornness of a mule; the eyesight of an eagle; be blessed with the luck of the Irish and have the ability and stamina of a camel to go long hours without food or drink." - A Wise Genealogist
I was born at the end of WW II in Paterson, NJ, where my father was employed as a mechanical engineer at the Wright Aeronautical works, helping develop jet aircraft engines during that conflict. My parents met when both were students at Penn State University in State College, PA. Both my grandfathers were also professors at Penn State until they retired. All are now deceased. I have one older brother, retired from the US Federal Government, in Florida.
I went to Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, alma mater of my maternal grand-father, for whom I am named, and I later did graduate work in history at the Sorbonne in Paris, France, at Columbia University and at the Institute for Advanced Studies, up to my doctorate in social history. I taught college history for a while until I decided Academia, with all its committees, was not for me.
In the 1970s I moved to Napa, California; since 1994 I have lived in Sedona, with my wife, born in France, and whom I met while living in Paris doing research in the 1980s. We have no children and I am now retired.
Recently (2013) I was "bitten by the genealogical bug" and discovered Wikitree, whose easy access and community ethics appealed to me. In a relatively short time, I have found answers to many of my questions about different branches of my family, such as that my Snow relatives and I are descendants of 2 Mayflower passengers... I have therefore set up a Snow one-name study page (although I haven't had much time to work on it yet!) and added DNA testing to my biography.
I am always open to new information, corrections anywhere on my Tree (with Sources, please!), and to finding new distant cousins from my Snow, Bonine, Weston, Whiteman +/or other related lineages.
As I am bilingual in French, I will be happy to assist Wikitree researchers seeking short translations etc. from that language too.
|Search user languages|
- First-hand information. Entered by Chet Snow on January 7, 2014. Edited on May 19, 2015 and Feb. 9, 2016.
- Chet's formal name
- full middle name (B.)
- e-mail address
- exact birthdate
- birth location
- images (1)
- private siblings' names
Chet is a Wiki Genealogy Volunteer following these tags:
- Hello all Bonine relatives! Almost all Bonines in the USA descend from French Huguenot immigrant, Elias Bonine (Bonine-42) around 1715. However, we do have a branch from Tennessee not yet connected - anyone have ideas? Contact me: Snow-2128. Merci!
- Time to look up my Dutch and Delaware roots again.
- Bonjour fellow Huguenot descendants or interested WikiTreers. As the Huguenot Migration Project Leader, it is my hope that in 2016 we will add many new members, identify and improve Huguenot migration profiles and create new interest in this historically-important group that migrated around the world between 1550-1790. Please contact me (Snow-2128) to join the Project!
- Want to help WikiTree's automated merge-proposal system by monitoring proposed merges, rejecting obvious mis-matches and helping managers make correct merges to further our goal of One profile per Ancestor.
- Greetings to the large (3,000+) Snow family on WikiTree. If you haven't already added you Snow surname male ancestors to the "Snow" one-name study category, please consider it! I am especially seeking living men named Snow to get a DNA test done to see where/how it corresponds to known Snow Y-chromosome DNA. Contact me in 2016 if interested (Snow-2128).
- I am always searching for correctable errors.
Chet Snow's DNA has been tested for genealogical purposes. It may be possible to confirm family relationships by comparing test results with Chet or other carriers of his ancestors' Y-chromosome or mitochondrial DNA. Y-chromosome DNA test-takers in his direct paternal line on WikiTree:
- Chet Snow: Family Tree DNA Y-DNA Test 37 markers, haplogroup I-M253, Ysearch Q94WJ, FTDNA kit #335069
- Rob Hobdell : AncestryDNA, GEDMatch A565346, Ancestry member No_Longer_on_Ancestry
- Donna (Robinson) Falcone : AncestryDNA, GEDMatch A327604, Ancestry member DFalcone
- Chet Snow: Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch T603702, FTDNA kit #335069
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Bay-Staters (Massachusetts) Team Sep 13, 2016.
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to Chet. (Best for comments to Chet that need to be private.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages to or about Chet that can be public. Limit 20 per day.)
On 29 Mar 2017 at 12:02 GMT Candace (Gordon) Biamonti wrote:
My DNA is done...as listed...but I had my dad's brother tested by Family Tree. I can't get the info because he doesn't have a Tree and at ninety he is not doing one. His sons were interested by because of illness, etc. they haven't been able to help. The Bonine's, Williams', etc. are all on his side. I will be in the States this summer and try to get something done about the tree so that I can hopefully find some connections. So many of those lines are blocked. Hope all is well with you! Candy
On 15 Mar 2017 at 06:27 GMT Kimberly (Shaver) Little wrote:
On 11 Mar 2017 at 14:52 GMT Doug Lockwood wrote:
If I understand the question correctly, all lines added to wikitree remain. Of course, some of the profiles may be merged from time to time. They may be considered confirmed Magna Carta trails, if research confirms it. Otherwise, they may be listed as questionable gateway ancestors.
On 10 Mar 2017 at 02:09 GMT Rosemary (Bridges) Berman wrote:
On 8 Mar 2017 at 18:45 GMT Doug Lockwood wrote:
On 1 Mar 2017 at 23:43 GMT Robin (Felch) Craig wrote:
To me, being related to you is way cooler than being related to Katy Perry!
On 1 Mar 2017 at 11:11 GMT Deborah (Terry) Sutton wrote:
On 1 Mar 2017 at 11:04 GMT Deborah (Terry) Sutton wrote:
which I found in the "junk" this morning as it came in last night at 23.45. Thanks for all your help and being a very good friend.
On 22 Feb 2017 at 14:35 GMT Carolyn (Vester) Patton wrote:
On 25 Jan 2017 at 21:40 GMT June (Baker) Higgins wrote: