Österlånggatan 49, Storkyrkoförsamlingen, Stockholm

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: [unknown] [unknown]
Location: Storkyrkoförsamlingen, Stockholm, Sverigemap
Surnames/tags: Lohrman Snauel
Profile manager: Lena Svensson private message [send private message]
This page has been accessed 172 times.


Österlånggatan 49

The house on Österlånggatan 49 is today incorporated into no 47 in the block named Argus in Old Town, Stockholm. It is part of the house named Argus 8.


The estate is very old and its owners can be traced back to 1370 when it was a house of stone. In the 1680's there was a stone house on what was Argus 1 and 2. During the 1700's it was replaced with two four-story houses. In the 1900's the two estates was joined to form Argus VII. Österlånggatan 49 also had the number 137. In 1936 the buildings were torn down when the Swedish Customs Service built a new house towards Österlånggatan, forming Argus VIII out of no 1, 2, 3 and 7.[1]

Owners and Inhabitants

  • 1370 Johannes remslagare (belt maker)
  • the wife Katarina Kallendorp
  • Katarina's children; Mickel Kastorp one half, Mr. Tideman van Werdhen and his sister the other half. Tideman van Werdhen was most likely a priest in Stockholm.
  • 1422, Mickel Kastorp sold his part to Peter Privalk. Along the part of the house came also a part of the land that went down to the water from the house. The land was 48 ells long, 17 ells wide down by the water and on the southern side 33 ells wide. A celler, below Hans Westman's stone house, next to the land was also included. The price was 500 marks.
  • 1425 Privalk bought the rest of the estate from van Werden for 250 marks. Privalk was most certainly the son of van Werden's sister. He exchanged the celler for 30 ells of land down in the alley on the south side by the water.
  • 1452, Privalk died and his son Hans inherited the estate
  • 1502 Hans Privalk died and his widow Margareta Phipusdotter married Simon Skräddare (tailor) the following year.
  • 1513, 10 Oct, Simon sold the house to Jakob Persson for 400 marks. Together with the house came a cellar and two booths on the bottom floor, as well as an attic. Simon died in the blood bath of 1520 and Jakob Persson was probably also a victim.
  • 1521, Jakob Persson's widow Elsebe is the owner, she later married Henrik Snaffuel
  • 1553-1556, Per Japsson, the son of Jakob Persson and Elsebe
  • 1557 Per's widow Barbro
  • 1621 Urban Michelsson
  • Hans Urbansson
  • 1628 Urbansson sold the estate to Henrik Lemmens, the house is now old and in a bad condition
  • Erik Larsson von der Linde, who was married to Vendela Jakobsdotter Lohrman, the great granddaughter of Henrik Snauel
  • 1641, von der Linde's son-in-law Herman Campahusen together with his wife Gertrud and their three daughters live in the house in 1652. He had built a new house on the land of his father-in-law and bought it from his mother- and siblings-in-law for 3200 riksdaler. Campenhausen became indebted and in 1655 the house was pledged both to the German parish, Peter van Overbeck, Henrik Scheffer and Herman Cleberfält.[2]


  1. Argus 8, Gamla Stan, En byggnadshistorisk inventering från Stockholms stadsmuseum 1999
  2. Gunnar Carlquist, "Herman Campenhausens dagbok 1641-1653", Personhistorisk Tidsskrift 1 (1923), Personhistoriska samfundet

Images: 1
Stockholm 1885
Stockholm 1885

  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.