Twelfth century references are few but it seems clear that the hamlet of Gosewic (which became Goswick) was settled by 1093, when the 'red sandstone' blocks were hauled to Lindesfarne to (re)build St Cuthbert's priory.
In 1093.."two quarries were worked on the island, though it is said the deeply tinted red sandstone was brought from Goswick, a small hamlet a mile or two away from the Snook. The building period finished about 1112.
"Lindesfarne or Holy Island", pg 13
1322 Siege of Berwick left the city in the hands of Robert the Bruce, with those who failed to hold the city held in the Kings contempt and what lands were not already seized by the Scots, were forfeited, mostly to the Bishop to resell.
In 1326, Fenham Manor belonged to the Priory. (Is Fenham Manor the same as Fenwick manor?)
1384, Ord, Murton, Scremerston, Cheswick, Goswick, Kyloe, laid waste by our enemies the Scots, no thithes this year. Source: Rev. James Raine, pp.94-128
Morgan de Gosewic
- born bef 1169
- married abt 1185
- died abt 1220
- Grant by Ralph & Aldith of lands & messuage in Bowsden
- to Monks of St Cuthbert, Durham
Witnesses: Adam of Branxton, William of Ford, Walter of Stainsby, Gilbert son of Walter, Roger of Hameldon, Robert Manners, Henry of Detchant, Robert of Hameldon, Richard of Twizell, Patrick of Cheswick, Adam and Morgan of Goswick, Alan brother of the prior, William of Jarrow, John of Ketton, Richard Brun, Arnis Dogge, William le mentur.
We know that Morgan was father of Constantine & Patrick the Elder
- Constantine de Gosewic
- Patrick de Gosewic, the Elder
Adam de Gosewic
- born bef 1167
- died aft 1217
- Grant by Ralph & wife Aldith of Bowsden (land) from the ford known as Milheforde to the footpath leading to Faucruckes to the stream from the mill.
Witnesses: Alexander son of Ralph of Bowsden, Geoffrey parson of Ancroft, William chaplain of Fenwick, Ralph chaplain of Lowick, Robert of Scremerston, Patrick of Cheswick, John of Haggerston, Adam of Goswick, Juhel, Adam.
- ↑ "Durham Cathedral Archive: Miscellaneous Charters" [database on-line]. Durham University Archives, Entry for Patrick of Goswick, son of Morgan, abt1217, Ref: 4.1.Spec.4
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)