Location: Nanticoke Hundred, Sussex County, Delaware, United States
- Date: 13 Oct 1820
- This Indenture made this thirteenth day of October in the year of our Lord, eight hundred and twenty. Between William Johnson (Son of William) of the County of Sussex and State of Delaware, yeoman, and Rachel his wife of the one part and Gabriel Deputy of the same county and state aforesaid, yeoman, of the other part.
- Wittnesseth that the said William Johnson and Rachel his wife for and in consideration of three hundred dollars good and lawful money of the United States of America, to them in hand paid, the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged, have granted, bargained, sold, aliened, remised, released, enfeoffed, conveyed and confirmed and by these presence do grant, bargain, sell, alien, remiss, release, enfeoffe, convey and confirm unto the said Gabriel Deputy, his heirs and assigns forever, all that tract of piece of land situate on one of the head branches in Nanticoke River, adjoining lands of Pemberton Clayton, Isaac Griffith, John Johnson and others, the metes and bounds of which are as follows, viz:
- Beginning at a stone set up in said Deputy's field by the stump of the original red oak, boundry of lands late of Ablasom Willey, dec'd then running South sixty two degrees West forty one perches to a walnut tree, thence South fifty one degrees West ninety one perches to a marked holly, thence North twenty eight degrees West ninety five perches and a half to a corner in a line of John Johnson's land between an oak and maple thence with said Johnson's land, North eighty eight degrees and two thirds East seventy four perches to a white oak stump, thence North forty one degrees and a half East fifty five perches to a corner marked maple of said John Johnson's land, thence leaving said land and running South sixty degrees East one hundred and nine perches to a stake by an old maple in William Stayton's line, thence therewith South eleven degrees and a half West one hundred and five perches to a marked maple in a line of the land late of Abasalom Willey, dec'd and thence therewith North thirty one degrees West one hundred and seven perches to the place of beginning, containing ninety two acres and ninety four square perches be the same more or less, together with all and singular the improvements, tenements, priveleges, hereditaments and appurtenances thereunto belonging or in any wise appertaining with the reversion and reversions, remainder and remainders, rents, issues and profits thereof. To have and to hold, the said hereby granted premises with all the appurtenances unto the said Gabriel Deputy, his heirs and assigns forever
- And the said William Johnson and Rachel his wife for themselves and their heirs do hereby agree to and with the said Gabriel Debuty his heirs and assigns by these presence that they the said William Johnson and Rachel his wife they hereby granted premises described as aforesaid with all the appurtenaning unto the said Gabriel Deputy, his heirs and assigns forever against the future lawful claim of them the said William Johnson and Rachel his wife and their heirs, and against the claim or claims of all and every other person or persons whomsoever claiming or to claim by, from or under them or virtue of them shall and will warrant and forever defend by these presents .
- In witness whereof the said Grantors have hereunto set their hands and seals the day and year first before written
- William Johnson (seal)
- Rachel Johnson (seal)
- Sealed and delivered in the presence of }
- Us William Carlisle, Sam'l Ratcliff }
- State of Delaware }
- Be it remembered that on the 13th day of October in the year of our Lord eight thousand and twenty, personally appeared before us, the subscribers, two of the Justices of the Peace of County of Sussex.
- William Johnson and Rachel his wife, the grantors named in the above and foregoing Indenture and they the said William Johnson and Rachel his wife, severally acknowledged the same to be their act and deed, respectively and desired it might be recorded as such, and we do further certify that Rachel Johnson being the day and year aforesaid, privately examined by us, separately from her said husband and out of his hearing, she, the said Rachel Johnson did declare and say that she signed, sealed and delivered the said Indenture willingly and truly without the fear, compulsion or ill usage of her said husband or fear of his displeasure, in writing thereof we leave hereunto set our hands the day and year aforesaid .
- William Carlisle
- Sam'l Radcliff
- This deed was lodged in the Recorders' Office in and for Sussex County on the fourteenth day of April in the year of our Lord, one thousand eight hundred and forty six
- W H Surgett, Recorder
- ↑ "1820 Deed. William Johnson and wife to Gabriel Deputy. Sussex County Records. Georgetown, Delaware. Deed Record Volume 53. Page 51. (Accessed 02 Mar 2017)
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)