Location: Ewing township, Mercer County, New Jersey, United States
- Name: Theophilus Hart 
- Named in document
- Theophilus Hart (1790-1854), deceased
- Richard R Rogers, Surrogate
- Ralph S Herron, brother-in-law and executor
- Israel Hart (1793-1861), brother
- Joseph Snowden Hart (1796-1858), brother
- John Snowden Hart, brother
- Mrs. Huldah Carmer, sister
- Theophilus Hart Herron, nephew
- Theophilus Hart Carmer, nephew
- William McMain?, executor
- Lewis B Coleman, witness
- Lewis D Harlow, witness
- State of New Jersey, Mercer County}
- I, Richard R Rogers, Surrogate of the County of Mercer, do certify the annexed to be a true copy of the Last Will and Testament of Theophilus Hart , late of the county of Mercer, deceased, and that Ralph S Herron and William R McMain, the executors therein named, proved the same before me, and use duly authorized to take upon themselves the administrations of the estate of the testator's agreeably to the said will
- Witness my hand and seal of office, the eleventh day of November A.D. one thousand eight hundred and fifty four.
- Rich R Rogers
Will of Theophilus Hart
- In the name of God, Amen, I, Theophilus Hart of the Township of Ewing, County of Mercer and State of New Jersey, being of infirmed health, but of sound mind and memory, do make and publish this, my Last Will and Testament.
- 1st. I give and bequeath the sum of one thousand dollars to my brother Israel Hart
- 2nd. I give and bequeath the sum of eight hundred dollars to by brother, Joseph Snowden Hart
- 3rd. I give and bequeath the sum use that is to say, the annual interest of five hundred dollars, to my sister Mrs. Huldah Carmer, during her natural life; and I direct that after her death, the said five hundred dollars, be divided in equal shares between her children.
- 4th. I give and bequeath the sum of twelve hundred dollars to my brother-in-law, Ralph S Herron
- 5th. I give and bequeath the sum of five hundred dollars, to my nephew Theophilus Hart Herron, and I direct that the said sum of five hundred dollars, be held in trust by Ralph S Herron (who shall have the use of the same) and be paid over, without interest to said Theophilus Hart Herron, when he shall have attained the age of twenty one years. But in case of the death of the said Ralph S Herron, during the minority of Theophilus Hart Herron, the said sum of five hundred dollars, shall be paid out as lawful interest, and the said Theophilus Hart Herron shall receive principal and interest, when he shall have arrived at the age of twenty one years.
- 6th. I give and bequeath the sum of one hundred dollars to my nephew Theophilus Hart Carmer
- 7th. I give and bequeath my saddle, bridle, trunks, wearing apparel, to my brother-in-law Ralph S Herron.
- 8th. I give and bequeath my watch to my nephew, Theophilus Hart Herron.
- 9th. I authorize my Executors hereinafter named to collect all moneys due my estate to settle all just demands against the same, and to pay my funeral expenses and to erect suitable tombstones at my grave, within one year after my death.
- 10th. I give and bequeath the residue of my property to my brothers, Israel Hart & John Snowden Hart, to my sister, Mrs. Huldah Carmer, and to my brother-in-law, Ralph S Herron, to be divided in equal shares between them.
- 11th. I do nominate and appoint Ralph S Herron and William R McMain to be the executors of this, my Last Will and Testament.
- In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal, and publish and declare, this to be my Last Will & Testament, in presence of the witnesses named below, this twenty seventh day of April in the year of our Lord, one thousand eight hundred and fifty four.
- Theophilus Hart (seal)
- Signed, sealed, declared and published by the said, Theophilus Hart as such and for his Last Will & Testament in presence of us, who at his request and in his presence and in presence of each other, have subscribed our names as witnesses hereto.
- Lewis B Coleman
- Lewis D Harlow
- Mercer County} Lewis B Coleman, one of the witnesses to the annexed writing purporting to be the Last Will & Testament of Theophilus Hart , late of the township of Ewing, the testator therein named deceased, being duly sworn doth depose and say, that he saw the said testator sign and seal the said annexed writing and heard him publish and declare the same as and for his Last Will & Testament, that at the time of the doing thereof, the said testator was of sound and disposing mind, memory and understanding, as far as this deponent knows and as he verily believes; that Lewis D Harlow - the other subscribing witness thereto was present at the same time with this deponent, and together with him subscribed their names thereto as witnesses in the presence of the testator and of each other, and at the request of the testator, and that said testator died more than ten days ago.
- Lewis B Coleman
- Sworn and subscribed this eleventh day of November 1854, before me, Rich R Rogers, surrogate
- Mercer County} Ralph S Herron and William R McMain the executors in the annexed writing named, being duly sworn, do depose and say that the said annexed writing contains the true Last Will & Testament of Theophilus Hart , the testator therein named deceased, as far as they know and as they verily believe, that they will, as the executors thereof well and truly perform the same, first by paying the debts of said deceased, and then the legacies therein specified as far as the goods, chattels and credits of said deceased with thereunto extend and the law charge them; that they will make and exhibit unto the Surrogate's office of the County of Mercer, a true and perfect inventory of all and singular, the said goods, chattels, and credits, as far as the same have or shall, come to their possession or knowledge, or to the possession of any other person or persons to their use to their knowledge; and that they will well and truly account when thereunto lawfully required.
- Ralph S Herron
- Wm R McMain
- Sworn and subscribed this eleventh day of November 1854, before me
- Rich R Rogers, Surrogate
- John Snowden Hart
- Believe this to be some kind of transcription error; John Snowden Hart, brother cannot be verified, however there is a Joseph Snowden Hart that is a brother.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 "Will of Theophilus Hart". 27 Apr 1854. Mercer County, New Jersey Wills. Volume B. Page 528. (Accessed 16 Sep 2017)