upload image

5th Infantry Division, United States Army, World War II

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: [unknown] [unknown]
Location: [unknown]
Surnames/tags: World_War_II Miltary_and_War
This page has been accessed 173 times.

For a grouping of profiles of persons assigned to the 5th Infantry during the Second World War, see the category for the 5th Infantry.

5th Infantry Division

The 5th Division was provisionally activated in August 1936 at Fort Knox, Kentucky, for the Second Army's Maneuvers using the 10th Infantry Brigade and the West Virginia Army National Guard's 201st Infantry Regiment. On 16 October 1939 the 5th Division was reactivated as part of the United States mobilization in response to the outbreak of World War II in Europe in September 1939, being formed at Fort McClellan, Alabama, under the command of Brigadier General Campbell Hodges.

The following spring, in 1940, the division was sent to Fort Benning, Georgia, and then temporarily to Louisiana for training exercises, before being transferred to Fort Benjamin Harrison at the end of May 1940. That December the division relocated to Fort Custer, Michigan, from where it participated in the Tennessee maneuvers. The division went next to Camp Joseph T. Robinson, Arkansas, in August 1941 for staging into both the Arkansas and Louisiana maneuvers before returning to Fort Custer that October. The division, under the command of Major General Cortlandt Parker from August, was stationed there when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor and Germany declared war on the United States in December 1941, thus bringing the United States into the conflict. As the winter passed the division was brought up to strength and fully equipped for forward deployment into a war zone. During April 1942, the 5th Division received its overseas orders and departed the New York Port of Embarkation (NYPOE) at the end of the month for Iceland. The 5th Division debarked there in May 1942, where it replaced the British garrison on the island outpost along the Atlantic convoy routes, and a year later was reorganized and re-designated as the 5th Infantry Division on 24 May 1943.[1]

The 5th Infantry Division was assigned to:

For now, we are not anticipating creating categories for units smaller than the regiment, i.e. battalions, companies, platoons, so while you should note that in the biography section of the profile, add the profile to the regiment, which should be listed below.

Primary subordinate units were:

  • Headquarters, 5th Infantry Division
  • 2nd Infantry Regiment
  • 10th Infantry Regiment
  • 11th Infantry Regiment
  • Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 5th Infantry Division Artillery
  • 19th Field Artillery Battalion, (105 mm)
  • 46th Field Artillery Battalion (105 mm)
  • 50th Field Artillery Battalion, (105 mm)
  • 21st Field Artillery Battalion, (155 mm)
  • 7th Engineer Combat Battalion
  • 5th Medical Battalion
  • 5th Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop (Mechanized)
  • Headquarters, Special Troops, 5th Infantry Division
  • Headquarters Company, 5th Infantry Division
  • 705th Ordnance Light Maintenance Company
  • 5th Quartermaster Company
  • 5th Signal Company
  • Military Police Platoon
  • Band

Sources



This is an "orphaned" profile — there's no Profile Manager to watch over it. Please adopt this profile.


Collaboration
  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)


Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.