Location: by Bernice (Deeter) Eller
An extensive (58-page) compilation by Bernice (Deeter) Eller of descendants of Johannes Dieterich (abt. 1720 - aft. 1770), who migrated to America in 1738 and settled in the Conococheague valley near the PA-MD border in 1752. He and his descendants anglicized the family name to Deeter and Teeter. This compilation concentrates particularly on the descendants of his great-great-grandson William Reed Deeter (1840 - 1917). Note: Johannes Dieterich has previously been misidentified as Johann Michael Dieter.
A scan of this document is provided below as pdf files, divided into six page blocks.
- p. 1. Introduction, Abbreviations and Symbols used
- p. 2. The Dietrich Family in America
- p. 3. Arrival in America of Johann Michael Dieterich
- p. 5. John Deeter Family (first son of Johann Michael)
- p. 10. Abraham Deeter Family (second son of Johann Michael)
- p. 13. David Deeter Family (first son of Abraham)
- p. 19. William Reed Deeter Family
- p. 22. Edward David Deeter Family
- p. 27. Manly (Emanuel) Higgens Deeter Family
- p. 31. John Stutsman Deeter Jr. Family
- p. 36a. Deeter and Reed Families
- p. 37. Samuel Saylor Mohler Family
- p. 43. Jacob and Elizabeth Deeter Family
- p. 47. John and Catherine Reed Family
- p. 52. Index of descendants of W.R. Deeter
Selections from this document are presented below, with page numbers in the upper left corner.
- page i.
A DEETER GENEALOGY
1 7 2 9 - 1 9 8 1
With Emphasis on The
W. R. DEETER FAMILY
1 8 4 0 - 1 9 8 1
Compiled by Bernice Deeter Eller
Boulder, Colo. 80302
- page 1.
Two and One Half Centuries
Of History of
The Deeter Family in America
Part I 1729 Immigrant forefather to William Reed Deeter
Part II. 1840-1981 William Reed Deeter and his descendents.
This genealogy has been several years in the gathering and compiling of data. Many members of the Deeter family have not only been helpful but have furnished information that would have been otherwise unobtainable. Most grateful thanks go to Fred Ullery of South Bend, In. for his generous sharing of his wonderful charts, to Forrest Reed of St. Petersburg, Fla., to Don Bowman of Brookville, O. and to John H. Stutesman of San Francisco, Cal. Also to Alice Neff for data she furnished on the Manly Deeter family and to Hurshel Deeter and his mother Mona for details on the family of John Stutsman Deeter Jr.
It is to be hoped that this record will be of interest to those descendents of this family now living and to their families.
- page 3.