Welcome to Clan Abernethy
|Clan Abernethy Team|
|Team Leader||Scottish Families Team|
- The goal of this project is to ... offer a focal point for all members interested in the Lairds and Chiefs of Clan Abernethy together with members bearing the name Abernethy, the related families and those recognised as septs of Clan Abernethy.
- Here are some of the tasks that I think need to be done. I'll be working on them, and could use your help.
- promoting the entries of those bearing the name Abernethy on Wikitree.
- ensuring entries appearing on Wikitree are as accurate as possible, correcting mistakes once spotted.
- encouraging interest in and study of Clan Abernethy.
- Will you join me? Please post a comment here on this page, in G2G using the project tag, or send me a private message. Thanks!
- Crest: A raven Sable, beaked and membered Gules
- Motto: Salus Per Christum (Salvation through Christ)
- Plant badge:
- Pipe music:
- Gaelic name:
- Names associated with the clan: Various spellings of the name include Abernethy, Abrenethy, Abrnnete, Haberinthan, Abirnythy, Albirnyth, Abernethi, Abernetti, Ebbernet, and Habernethi.
The origin of the family of Abernethy is obscure. Lord Saltoun, in his work on Frasers of Philorth, gives it as his opinion that in the twelfth century its representatives occupied the position of lay abbots of the Culdee monastery of Abernethy, in Strathearn, and that it may therefore be concluded that they were not among the Saxon or Norman immigrants who, at various periods, entered Scotland from the south, but were descended from some ancient Pictish or Scottish (Irish) source, or from some Scandinavian settler from the north.
The first on record was a Hugh de Abernethy, who lived during the reigns of Alexander I., David I., and perhaps Malcolm. He appears to have died about the middle of the twelfth century. He had a son; Orm, styled son of Hugh, and probably succeeded his father as Lay Abbot of the monastery. He must have been born during the first half of the twelfth century.
The arms depicted are those of Abernethy, Lord Abernethy. Please take care with arms; they are associated with an individual and not a family group. By grant Anernethy, Lord Saltoun bore these arms:
Graphics associated with this clan can be found at, or uploaded to, this graphics page.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Amy Gilpin, Sarah Mason, and Scotland Project WikiTree. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)