Location: Taunton, Bristol, Massachusetts, United States
Additional 35 Purchasers of Taunton
While a category exists for this topic, adding profiles to the category requires editing those profiles - many of which are part of the Puritan Great Migration Project and not currently able to be edited. I'm adding the names/profiles here so that the profiles can be edited later.
From the History of Taunton
There is a second list of early settlers, although not entitled to the place of first purchasers and proprietors, which should be given here, as we find it, in the handwriting of John Wilbore, Proprietors' Clerk, with the following headline:
The following are the names of those that have paid their 12 shillings and by virtue thereof have and shall have right in all future divisions.
- Edward Bobet Sr. (bef.1627-1675)
- James Burt (abt.1622-1680) - brother of Richard Burt (bef.1583-bef.1647) of the original purchasers
- Thomas Coggan - Thomas Coggins (abt.1610-1653)
- Robert Crosman - Robert Crossman (abt.1620-bef.1692)
- Bennajah Dunham - not found Mar 2021
would have been a contemporary of John Dunham Sr. (abt.1589-abt.1669), but John's sons Benjamin & Bennajah are too young
- William Evins - probably William Evans (1631-1671) but profile needs definition
- John Gallop (1621-1675)
- Giles Gilbert - probably Giles Gilbert (1627-1702) but profile needs definition.
Giles was son of original purchaser John Gilbert (abt.1580-abt.1657)
- Joseph Gilbert - probably Joseph Gilbert (1629-1680) but profile needs definition.
Joseph was son of original purchaser John Gilbert (abt.1580-abt.1657)
- Richard Hart - not found Mar 2021
- Thomas Harvey Jr. (1617-1651) may have been a half brother of original purchaser William Harvey of Taunton (1614-1691) - see Thomas' profile for discussion of DNA results.
- Nicholas Hathaway (1595-1640)
- William Hodges (abt.1624-1654)
- Samuel Holloway (abt.1630-bef.1707) - he was the son of original purchaser William Holloway (abt.1586-1665); Samuel's profile needs definition.
- Thomas Joans - possibly Thomas Jones (bef.1637-) but this profile need definition.
- Aaron Knapp (abt.1612-1674)
- Henry Leonard (abt.1618-bef.1695)
- James Leonard Sr. (abt.1621-abt.1691) brother of Henry above
- Thomas Lincon, senior - Thomas Lincoln (abt.1603-bef.1684)
- Thomas Lincon, Junior - Thomas Lincoln (bef.1630-bef.1696) son of Thomas above
- John Macomber (1613-1688)
- Clement Maxfield - probably Clement Maxfield (abt.1621-1692) but profile needs definition.
- Oliver Purchase (1613-1701)
- Edward Rew (-1678)
- Ralfe Russell - possibly Ralph Russell (abt.1628-abt.1679) but profile doesn't mention Taunton except to say he doesn't appear in Plymouth Colony Records. His profile does mention a possible partnership with Anthony Slocum who was an original purchaser (although his profile cannot be found on WikiTree as of Mar 2021).
- William Sheppard - William Shepard (1624-1664)
- Giles Slocum (abt.1623-aft.1683)
- Richard Stacy (abt.1623-bef.1687)
- Robert Thornton - possibly Robert Thornton (abt.1624-1707) but see discussion "Further, Anderson found no evidence to identify the man who lived in Dorchester with man recorded later in Taunton, but did acknowledge that they could be the same person."
- Christopher Thrasher (bef.1628-abt.1679)
- John Tisdale (abt.1614-1675)
- John Turner (abt.1612-aft.1690)
- James Walker (abt.1620-abt.1691)
- James Wiatt - not found Mar 2021
- Jacob Wilson - not found Mar 2021
- Emery, Samuel Hopkins History of Taunton, Massachusetts: From Its Settlement to the Present Time, Syracuse, NY, D. Mason & Co., 1893, Page 85. On Googlebooks p85