upload image

Additional Notes on McGregor Van Every

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: [unknown] [unknown]
Location: [unknown]
Profile manager: J Winter private message [send private message]
This page has been accessed 435 times.


Notes formerly attached and left unedited on the profile of McGregor Van Every

Note IN178Name: McGregor Van Every
Year: 1797
Place: Canada
Source Publication Code: 2060.17
Primary Immigrant: Van Every, McGregor
Annotation: Date and place of loyalist oath of allegiance. Extracted from RG1, L7, volume 52B District Loyalist Rolls and Others, located at the Manuscripts Division of the National Archives of Canada in Ottawa. File number, district name, township name, and index
Source Bibliography: FITZGERALD, E. KEITH. Ontario People: 1796-1803. Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing Company, Inc., 1993. 250p.
Page: 189
(indicating that he lived to at least 1797)

An Important Piece of Canada's Heritage Worth Preserving
* Site of Tombstone of McGregory Van Every UE, * Oldest Tombstone in Niagara Peninsula Still in a Cemetery

The Warner Cemetery, which is still in active use today, can be seen on the east side of the Queen Elizabeth Highway about halfway between Mountain Road and Highway 405 in Niagara. It has been designated under the Ontario Heritage Act as being historically significant and there is a provincial plaque placed at its entrance. The first Methodist Episcopal Meeting House (church) west of the Bay of Quinte was founded by Christian Warner UE in 1801 with a simple frame structure built on the cemetery property. Christian Warner was accompanied by William Van Every UE as lay leaders in the revival which changed rough soldiers, disbanded after the American Revolution, into devout churchmen.

The current four-lane QEW has had a significant impact on the Warner Cemetery in terms of noise, dust and loss of property. Cemetery land has been expropriated by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation (MTO) over the past fifty years, without compensation, to within a metre of mid-1800s plots and the site of the 1801 church is partially located on these expropriated lands. Now the QEW is undergoing widening from Toronto to Niagara. The MTO is currently studying the section adjacent to the cemetery and planning for a new railway overpass which would accommodate the widening of the highway to an eventual seven or eight lanes. Their initial study has placed the overpass such that the edge of the pavement would move as much as eight to ten metres further onto expropriated cemetery land. A seven or eight-lane QEW located so close to the remaining cemetery would destroy what little tranquillity is left for those visiting their ancestors and loved ones. But worse, as currently planned, future expansions could not be accommodated without further expropriations.

A public information session, hosted by the MTO, was held on November 23, 1999 in Niagara Falls to discuss what to do with the widening project of the QEW. "`Widening the QEW at Sand Plant Hill requires a balancing act because of the environmentally-sensitive area on the west and the historic, cemetery on the east,' said the project manager Clem Shim. `About 200 people are buried there and room exists for another 100 plots,' said John Warner, Chairman of the Board of Directors ,for Warner Cemetery."(1) John D. Warner is a direct descendant of Christian Warner UE, for whom the cemetery is named and who is buried there. The Ministry of Transportation is considering three options for widening the highway. (A) They could only widen the west side of the highway, (B) widen both sides, or (C) realign a four-kilometre stretch to go around the west side of the Six Mile Creek, thus avoiding both the environmentally and culturally sensitive areas. Unfortunately, the first two options presently under consideration leave no room for future expansions and would require moving both recent and historical grave sites to accommodate the inevitable next widening. "The ultimate configuration we are looking at now is seven lanes -- four going Niagara-bound, three going Toronto-bound." said a representative of the Ministry of Transportation at the public information session.(2) Unfortunately, Alternative "C" seems to be the least-favoured by the MTO even though it is probably the best from a highway design perspective.

When the QEW was built in 1939, the MTO relocated part of the Six Mile Creek to the west of the highway and it now limits their expansion to the west, away from the cemetery. What is needed is a long-term view that shifts the QEW to the west of the Six Mile Creek to accommodate all current and previously expropriated cemetery property.

Mrs. Stanley C. Tolan, in a paper read at the September 1941 Niagara Falls Ontario Historical Society meeting and published as Christian Warner -- A Methodist Pioneer, wrote, "The march of progress across our land often hides from view or completely destroys the few remaining memorials of our pioneer ancestors....

The Warner Burying Ground is situated quite close to the Queen Elizabeth Highway about halfway between the Thorold Stone Road in Stamford Township and No. 8 Highway where it crosses the Queen Elizabeth Highway just east of Homer. Originally the cemetery was surrounded by a four-foot stone wall, surmounted by halt-circular segments of stone, which rested on the base at an angle of fifteen or twenty degrees. It has been estimated that there were about one hundred graves, but many of the old stones have become illegible or have crumbled away entirely.

Outstanding in the Warner Cemetery is the restored Van Every plot. This has been enclosed by a two-foot wall of rough, red sandstone, capped with dressed gray stone. The old, old headstones have been built into the interior face of this wall, so that they are preserved from damage as long as the wall shall stand. At the centre of the wall along the easterly side rises a block of cut stone bearing the inscription, `Van Every, U.E.L.', commemorating one of the oldest names in the Niagara district.

The oldest headstone preserved in the wall is to the memory of

McGrigery Van Every
born April ye 27th 1723
Departed this fife
Sept ye 15th 1786
Mary Wilcox his Wife
Born April ye 29th 1736"(3)
This 214 year-old tombstone is one of the oldest still in existence in Ontario. Paul Hutchinson writes: "I've visited 184 cemeteries in the Niagara peninsula, have photographed and transcribed 1500-2000 monuments, have read extensively about monuments and cemeteries, and have asked many questions of many people. With confidence, I can say that no monument in any cemetery in the old Lincoln and Welland counties has an earlier date of death on it. Not only that, I believe that the monument must have been made in or shortly after 1786. I would also say with confidence that no other monument by the maker of the Van Every monument exists in the Niagara region. It probably also is the monument with the richest reddish colour although at least a couple of dozen other monuments of a similar kind and colour of stone exist in the Niagara peninsula."(4)
Unfortunately, this tombstone currently faces the four-lane QEW highway a few metres away. To have the QEW further expand its lanes towards this tombstone, along with the others in Warner Cemetery, is tantamount to sacrilege of not only those buried therein, but to the history of our province as represented by these grave sites.

In August of 1999, Robert Collins McBride, B.Sc., M.Ed., M.M., UE, great-great-great-great-grandson of McGregory Van Every, UE, employed Stan Hutchinson, President of Hamilton Memorials Ltd., 65 Tom Street, Hamilton, Ontario, K8R 1X2, to repair the roughcast stone wall of the Van Every plot and do a complete restoration of the McGregory Van Every UE tombstone.

McGregory Van Every UE was the founder of the Van Every family in Canada. Research into this early United Empire Loyalist family by Mary Blackadar Piersol, published in her book The Records of The Van Every Family: United Empire Loyalists, (T.H. Best Printing Co., Toronto, 1947), indicates that McGregory Van Every's great-great grandfather, Frederick, lived in Everinghe Castle, Community of Everinghe, Province of Zeeland, Holland. More recent genealogical research has raised questions about the country of origin of the Van Every family. Nevertheless, it is still thought that Frederick was the father of two sons, Myndert (ca. 1636 - 1706) and Carsten (ca. 1638 - 1688) Fredericksen who sailed to America about 1653. Professor Jonathan Pearson states, "Two brothers, Myndert and Carsten Frederickse, smiths, were among the early settlers of Beverwyck. They came from Iveren."(5) David M. Riker, Chair of the Genealogical Committee of the Holland Society, was consulted on the origins of the Van Iveren family and he agreed that the name was derived from Jever in Oldenburg, Germany, indicating that the name in its purest form is van Jeveren, meaning "from Jerver". Kathleen M. Van Every, a well-versed genealogical researcher of the family, writes: "Jevern is a small town in Oldenburg, Germany, which used to be an independent Duchy. Although there are immigration records citing that Myndert and Carsten came from Jevern (thus van Jevern, "from Jevern") I know they spoke Dutch, per the records from the early Dutch in New Amsterdam. I am inclined to believe they were in fact Dutch and it is probable the Reformation took them to Oldenburg, or they may have simply met there as a point of embarkation. They were of the Old Augsburg Faith, today known as Lutherans. Reformation was a big issue at the time and the Netherlands were long ruled by Spain, still very loyal to Rome and Catholicism. Being a heretic was life-threatening in those days and it is likely they moved from Zeeland to the Duchy of Oldenburg to escape persecution. I am hoping to resolve this during the summer when I visit these sites in Europe."(6) The older brother, Myndert, was barely twenty and the younger, Carsten, was approaching seventeen. After several weeks crossing the ocean they arrived in New Amsterdam, now New York City. From there they made their way to Beverwyck, (now Albany, New York State), which at that time was a bustling Dutch enterprise. "From the wealth of documentary evidence it seems certain that they occupied prominent places in the Dutch Colony at Beverwyck (Albany)."(7) "The brothers were master smiths and had their shop on the north corner of Broadway and Spanish (now Hudson) Streets."(8) "They were leaders in the struggle for religious liberty. In 1673, Myndert and four other Lutherans sent a petition to the Governor-General of New Netherland requesting `the exercise of their religious worship without let or hindrance'. The request was granted `on condition they conduct themselves peaceably without giving offence to the reformed religion which is the State Church'".(9) "In 1674, a further victory for the Lutherans was the permission to bury their dead without fearing the sexton of the Reformed Church."(10) "The struggle ended in 1680 when the land on which the Lutheran Church had been built was declared `fully paid for, the first penny with the last', and deeded to Myndert as elder, Carsten as deacon, and two other members, `to do with and dispose of as they might do with their own patrimonial estates being for the use of the whole church'."(11) Myndert Frederickse, son of Frederick, did his full duty in the strictly local affairs of Beverwyck as councilman and church elder and was "the Armourer to the Fort [Fort Orange]."(12) In the list of "Commissions given out" by Thomas Dongan, Governor of New York, appears the following: "Martin Gerritsen during his will and pleasure, dat [sic] 15 Dec 1684, Mindert ffredricksen to be his leiut Dat ditto."(13) "It would appear that Myndert had considerable real estate; some of this may have been brought to him by his wife Pieterje van Vechten. In 1667 he bought land at Murderer Kill; this property he leased in 1670. In 1673 he leased his farm `Klinkenburg' opposite Clavarack; this farm he and Pieterje sold in 1685. In 1681, he sold land in Columbia County, and bought property in Albany; the same year he `makes over' land in Coxsackie."(14) "Myndert served as tax assessor ... and possessed vast land holdings. He took in a young apprentice, Lambrecht Sickels, to teach him the trade of blacksmithing. The contract for this arrangement states that on February 1680, Myndert contracted with Sacharias Sickels, the boy father, for the hiring of his 14 year old son ,for a term of six years. Myndert promised to provide the boy with proper food, linen and woolen clothing and to teach him the smith's trade. The boy would be sent to evening school for three winters, the tuition payment being Myndert's responsibility. At the end of the apprenticeship, Myndert would provide the young man with a suitable Sunday and workaday suit of clothing, six shirts, a new pair of shoes, a new hat, a pair of new stockings and a chest. The father on the other hand agreed to take responsibility for the boy's laundry, provided Myndert furnished a cask of soap. Sacharias and his son agreed to serve Myndert with diligence, obedience and faithfulness."(15)

Myndert had married Catharyn Burcharts on 5 August 1656. Their marriage is registered in the New Amsterdam Dutch Church records as follows: "Meynert Fredrickszen, Van Jeven, and Catharyn Burcharts, Van N. Amsterd."(16) Not much is known about Catharyn and it is assumed that she died young as Myndert remarried in 1663 to Pietrje Van Teunis (also known as Pieterje van Vechten, heiress of Tuenis van Vechten (17)). Myndert and Catharyn had two children, Frederick (1657 - 1740) and Burger (1660, probably at Albany, Province of New York - ). Myndert, with his second wife, Pietrje, had three children, Neeltje, Rynier (1670 - ), and Johannes. By this time New Amsterdam had been seized by the British and became the Province of New York.
Burger, also referred to as Burger Myndertse and Burger Van Iveren, son of Myndert Frederickse and Catharyn Burcharts, was born, probably in Albany, in 1660. He married Elizabeth/Elizabert "Elsie" Meyer, daughter of Martin Meyer of New York City.(18) By 1685 he was found living in or near Kingston, Province of New York, as the birth records for that town include the birth of his son, Martin, for that year, and in 1688, the birth of his daughter, Pieterje.(l9) By 1702 he was recorded as being a blacksmith in New York City. Burger probably moved to the "High Lands", Ulster County, as his name appears in the Tax Lists of "Precincts of ye High Lands" for the years 1707-1720. It is interesting to note that this list also contains the name of Peter (Patrick) McGregory.(20) Burger and Elizabeth were the parents of five children: Myndert Van Iveren ( -1764), Catherine Van Iveren, Martin Van Iveren (1685, Kingston, Province of New York -- 1760), Piertje Van Iveren (1688, Kingston, Province of New York - ), and Burger/Birger Van Iveren .
"Martin van Iveren, son of Burger van Iveren, Generation 3, Section 2, was born at Kingston, New York, 1685."(21) His birth notice reads, "Martin, son of Burgher Myndersen and Elsie Mayers."(22) "Martin is listed among the `Free men of New York City', 1728"(23) and in 1738 was "a Sergeant in Stuyvesant's Regiment, New York Militia."(24) In 1718 he married Judith Holmes,(25) daughter of William and Elizabeth Holmes of New York City.(26) The will of Martin, probated 1760, reads: "Mortok (Martin) van Evera Outward of New York", gives his wife's name as Juda and also mentions Burger.(27) Mary Blackadar Piersol, in her 1947 book on the Van Every family, records that their children were: Burger van Iveren, born in or near New York in 1718; probably Sarah van Iveren, who married John van Norden of New York City; and probably McGregory van Every. When introducing McGregory Van Every, Piersol in her Van Every book, published in 1947, quickly points out that "the entry of his birth has not been found, but intensive research places him almost certainly as grandson of Burger, Generation 3, Section 2, and son of Martin."(28)
McGregory Van Every UE, "the ancestor of the Canadian Branch, was probably the son of Martin van Iveren, Generation 4, Section 5. He was born April 27th, 1723, in `Arents' (Orange) New York(29) where he spent his early years. The banns of his marriage to Maria Jaycocks (Mary Wilcox) were published in the Dutch Reformed Church at Poughkeepsie in 1750."(30) Their marriage record reads: "Maggere Van Everen, young man, born in Arents County, and Mary Jecocs, young woman, born in Lassingberg. Both living in Lassingberg." Banns called on 17 January 1750.(31) "Twins, Patrick and Frenck were born 1754. Evidently they died young. David was born in 1757 and baptized in the Dutch Presbyterian Church, Poughkeepsie."(32) Shortly after this, McGregory and Mary moved across the Hudson to Ulster or Green County, where two children, Benjamin, born in 1759, and Abigail, born in 1761, were baptized by the pastor of the Zion Lutheran Church of Lunenburg, (now Athens) New York.(33) This church was founded in 1723. Samuel and William were probably born here also although a break of a few years in the continuity of the church records obscures the point. However, by 1768 McGregory was settled on a farm near Kinderhook, Columbia County, where their three youngest children (of ten or more (34)) were born, Phoebe in 1768, Pieter in 1771, and Andrew in 1773.(35) The baptism record of Phoebe Van Every, third great grandmother of Robert Collins McBride, B.Sc., M.Ed., M.M., UE, states: "9.11 1768 [i.e. 11 September 1768] M'Gregory Van Yveren, Mary Checoks # 1277 Phoebe, sp. Joseph Louwrens & wife Rachel Kranckheyt."(36) She married Henry Young UE (17 August 1762, Youngsfield, ("The Kyle"), Susquehanna River, Mohawk Valley, Tryon County, Province of New York -- circa 1838, Young Tract, Seneca Township, Upper Canada, or Ancaster Township, Wentworth County, Upper Canada), son of Adam Young UE (17 May 1717, Foxtown on the Schoharie River, Province of New York -- circa 1790, Young Tract, Grand River Settlement, Seneca Township, Haldimand County, [Ontario]) and Catherine Elizabeth Schremling (circa 1720, Schremling's Kill, (Canajoharie Creek), Mohawk Valley, Province of New York -- 1798. Young Tract, Grand River Settlement, Seneca Township, Haldimand County, [Ontario]). Adam Young UE was one of the first two white settlers of Haldimand County, receiving approximately nine square miles from Chief Joseph Brant in 1782 on the Grand River. A portion of the Young Tract is still owned today by a direct descendant of Adam Young UE, thus marking 218 years of continuous ownership and residency by a direct line of male Young descendants through nine generations.
After many years of comparative quietness in the Province of New York came the unrest that culminated in the American War of Independence. Early in the War, McGregory was arrested as a "tory suspect", being "disaffected with the cause of America", imprisoned but released four days later.(37) He was again seized and put in prison when he attempted to join the British army that prevented his enlistment until 1781 when he joined Butler's Rangers at the age of 58. Some time previous to this it would appear that McGregory again moved, this time to a farm in the Schoharie Valley. Claim for compensation for loss of property in the Revolutionary War was made by "the widow of McGregory Van Every, late of Schoharie" who stated that they had been plundered of livestock, farm implements and furniture. The evidence of this claim was heard at Niagara in 1788.(38)
McGregory's two sons, David and Benjamin initially fought with the Continental Army, before deserting and joining Butler's Rangers, supporting the Loyalist cause. David was born at Poughkeepsie, New York, 13 October 1757, and died, probably at St. George, Upper Canada, about 1820. The earliest records show him as part of the Third Regiment of the New York Militia, in Captain Lewis Duboys Company. He was on their muster rolls from 28 June 1775 and in September 1775 he was at Camp Ticonderoga when that fort was captured from unsuspecting British Regulars.(39) He deserted in September 1777 to join the British army.(40) "In 1777, David was called as witness as to details of the Wyoming massacre"(41) "In 1784 he was settled in Niagara with wife and two children, listed as `a young settler receiving rations.'"(42) "He and his brother are among the subscribers to St. Andrew's Church building fund. For his services as sergeant in the Butler Rangers in the Revolutionary War he was granted Lot 5 Concession 1, Flamboro West, and Lot 8, Concession 8, Ancaster. The year following he was granted an additional 300 acres for his wife and children."(43) "David lived in Flamboro until 1817, when with some of his sons he moved to South Dumfries."(44) David Van Every UE married Sarah Showers, daughter of Michael Showers UE. Benjamin Van Every, brother of David Van Every and son of McGregory Van Every, was born at or near Lunenburg, New York, 23 May 23 1759. He enlisted in 1777 in the Third Regiment of the New York Militia, Tieborit Company, but "deserted" in June 1777 and joined the Butler Rangers, then or later.(45) In 1795, on an old map, Benjamin is shown as owning town lot 280, Newark.(46) The next year, Mary widow of Benjamin who had married Mr. Slingerland, petitioned for land on her late husband's behalf, but was refused.(47) Benjamin Van Every UE had a son, John Cox Van Every, baptized in historic St. Mark's Church, Niagara, in 1792.
David and Benjamin Van Every perhaps had decided to join the New York Militia, as it was in this Regiment that the cousins of their father, McGregory Van Every had been serving: Martin as a Lieutenant, Cornelius (1730 - 1815) as an Ensign and later as a Lieutenant, and Rynier as a Captain. However, soon after deserting from the New York Militia, both David and Benjamin transferred themselves to Butler's Rangers, within which they fought for the duration of the American Revolution, David as a Sergeant and Benjamin as a regular soldier.
It was natural that the family of McGregory Van Every UE should be loyal to the Crown as "He [McGregory] was always friendly to Great Britain."(48) As the Van Every boys became old enough, each in turn joined the Butler's Rangers with the exception of Andrew who was too young. Andrew was born at or near Kinderhook, Province of New York, in 1773 and died in 1832. He married Jane Purvis, daughter of John Purvis UE. Thus five of McGregory Van Every's sons became Butler's Rangers: Sergeant David (13 October 1757, Poughkeepsie, Province of New York -- circa 1820, probably at St. George, Upper Canada); Benjamin (23 May 1759, at or near Lunenburg, Province of New York - ); Samuel (1763, Province of New York - ) who married Hannah Coon, daughter of John Coon UE; William (1765 or 1769, Lunenburg, Province of New York -- 13 August 1832, Niagara Township, Lincoln County) who married Elizabeth (Stevens) Dochstader, widow of Lieutenant Frederick Dochstader UE, a member of Butler's Rangers, who had been killed during action on 19 October 1781 at Otsego Lake under the command of Major Ross; and Pieter (Pit) (1771, Kinderhook, Province of New York -- before 1816). Lieutenant Frederick Dochstader UE and Elizabeth (Stevens) (Dochstader) Van Every were fourth great grandparents of Robert Collins McBride, B.Sc., M.Ed., M.M., UE. Elizabeth (Stevens) (Dochstader) Van Every's tombstone is mounted within the Van Every wall in the Warner Cemetery alongside that of her second husband, William Warner UE.
Butler's Rangers was a British unit mentioned in all histories of the revolutionary period, headquarters being at Fort Niagara. The families of some of the Rangers came to Niagara to be near them. At first they camped near the Fort, but gradually established small farms that furnished supplies to the soldiers. In the census of 1782 there were sixteen such families, one of these being that of McGregory Van Every.(49) A Survey Of The Settlement At Niagara, 25th August 1782 was the first census taken in what was to become known as the Province of Ontario, recorded by Col. John Butler.(50) This census states: Head of Families: McGregory Van Every; one Married Woman; three Horses; Produce This Year: -- four bushels Indian Corn, forty bushels Potatoes; eight Acres of Cleared Land.
Brig.-General E.A. Cruikshank, in his article, Ten Years of The Colony of Niagara, 1780-1790, indicates: "The settlement at Niagara actually preceded that at the Bay of Quinte by nearly four years. The only previous attempt to cultivate the soil on the western bank of the Niagara River by white men was that made by LaSalle in the summer of 1679, as recorded by Hennepin. As the French portage was subsequently established on the opposite shore, no effort was made to continue this early attempt at gardening."(51) Thus, it can be stated, with some justification, that McGregory Van Every UE, along with the other fifteen families recorded in the 25 August 1782 census of Fort Niagara, was one of the first farmers in what is now the Province of Ontario.
The name of McGregory Van Every also appears in Colonel Butler's list of "disbanded Rangers" in 1784.(52) "From Lieut-.Colonel A.S. De Peyster to General Haldimand Niagara, the 21st July 1784. Sir, The annexed list of subscribers being a copy of the original in the office will I hope be satisfactory. The Surveyor has not finished his survey which is attended with great inconvenience to him -- nor are the certificates or Tools of husbandry yet come to hand. So soon as the survey is finished the Lots shall be drawn for, and the oaths taken conformable to orders. (B. 103. p. 451) A LIST OF PERSONS WHO HAVE SUBSCRIBED THEIR NAMES IN ORDER TO SETTLE AND CULTIVATE THE CROWN LANDS OPPOSITE TO NIAGARA, JULY 20TH. 1784. Settlers Who Are To Receive Rations to 24th Dec. next. Sergeants. V -- Van Every, David. Disbanded Rangers, &c. V -- Van Every, Benj.; Van Every, McGregor. (signed) A.S. DePeyster. Lt.-Colonel (B. 168, p. 38)."(53)
In 1784, a map was published showing his farm to be in Township I [Niagara Township, Lincoln County] Lots 10 and 37 on the [Niagara] River where he had cleared eight acres and harvested corn with the help of his slave or negro servant, Jurden."(54) McGregory Van Every was age 61 in 1784. It is thought that McGregory Van Every UE did not move from his 200 acre farm properties on Lots 10 and 37, Niagara Township, Lincoln County,(55) before his death, which occurred on 15 September 1786, he then being age 63 years, 4 months and 19 days. His gravestone is in the Van Every plot, Warner Cemetery, St. Davids, Niagara Township. McGregory Van Every UE is a registered United Empire Loyalist with the United Empire Loyalists' Association of Canada.

Mary Wilcox, (also known as Maria Jacocks), wife of McGregory Van Every UE, was born, according to the Family Bible of her son, William Van Every, 29 April, 1736. This birth date is also engraved on her tombstone in Warner Cemetery. Because no other record of her birth has been found, the correct placement within the Jaycocks family has yet to be determined. A recognized expert on the Dutch colonial period writes, "In the NYGBR version (October 1942 issue) of the Poughkeepsie Dutch Church marriage records that on the same clay -- 17 Jan 1750 -- that the banns were first read for the marriage of Maggere Van Everen and Mari Jecocs, the banns were also read for another couple -- Willem Jecocs (born in Westchester County) and Geertruy Lassing (born in Lassingberg). I think there is a good possibility that William and Mary might have been siblings or perhaps cousins. Geertruy was the widow of `Jan Gryn' [John Green?] at the time of her marriage to William Jaycocks. I found the previous marriage of `Ian Gryn' and `Geertje Lassing' in the same church on 5 September 1746."(56) The property of William W. Jaycocks, the son of William and Gertruyd Lassen Jaycocks, was confiscated after his execution in 1779, he having been hanged by "Ye Rebels." His father's property had been confiscated and sold in 1777.(57)
Mary Blackadar Piersol, in her Van Every book published in 1947, indicates that Wilcox is the Anglicized form of the Swiss name Jaycocks. Piersol indicates that Maria Jaycocks (also known as Mary Wilcox) was the daughter of William Williamse Jaycocks UE of a well-known family of Poughkeepsie, New York whose descendants still lived there in 1947. An entry in the Zion Lutheran Church, Lunenberg, may be her birth notice: "`1738 7.9 [i.e. 9 July 1738]. #596 William Williamse, Mary; Maria born 6.18 [i.e. 18 June 1738]; [sponsors] Patrick Magy, Mary Richards.' In the index of sponsors of this book, the name Patrick MAGY, is given as Patrick MC KAY. There was another baptism in which Patrick Mc Kay was involved, in which his name is given as `Patrick Mc Cay' and his wife listed as Margreta, that being the 1744 baptism #1169 of William Beven's son Antony."(58) Piersol, in her Van Every book, published in 1947, records: "The pioneer of the Jaycocks family, Joseph, came from the border of Switzerland and France. His sons, Isiah and David, are the progenitors of the large number of Jaycock families."(59) The New York estate of William Williamse was confiscated in 1779(60) as he was a British Loyalist.(61) The families of Colonel Patrick McGregory and Burger van Iveren were bound by close ties, and also a friendship of long standing existed between the Jaycock and McGregory families as is evidenced by the witnessing of the will of Patrick, son of Colonel Patrick McGregory, by Francis, probably an uncle of Mary Wilcox (Maria Jaycocks).(62)
Mary (Wilcox) Van Every outlived her husband, McGregory Van Every UE, by several years, having died in the 1790s, and is buried beside him in Warner Cemetery.

It was thus very fitting that the tombstones of the members the family of McGregory Van Every UE buried in historical Warner's Cemetery were preserved for perpetuity by local residents of St. Davids and Van Every descendants. This Van Every enclosure contains the oldest legible markers in the cemetery and, unfortunately, is also among the closest to the QEW. Hence, they will be the first to be further disturbed by the proposed expansion of this major highway.
Christian Warner UE (1754 - 1833), for whom the cemetery is named, was a Sergeant in Butler's Rangers, a Methodist Class Leader for 45 years, a Captain of the Lincoln Militia in the War of 1812, and one of the founders of Methodism in the Niagara District. In his claim before the Commissioners at Montreal, 24 August 1787, Christian Warner states that he "was at Niagara in the fall of 1783 ... is a native of America, lived near Albany (Fort Orange), joined General Burgoyne's army, 1777; was taken prisoner soon after at Saratoga. In 1778 came here and joined Butler's Rangers, with which he served as Sergeant until the end of the war.... had a farm at Pataroons [Patroon] Land, on which he had been settled for several years before the outbreak of the war.... had cleared twelve acres, and had begun to clear more.... had built a house and barn.... had lost two cows, one ox, two horses, four sheep, thirteen hogs, furniture and utensils."(63)
Christian Warner UE brought his wife, Charity, and two children to Canada in 1783 or 1784, the children being carried in baskets across the back of a cow. This animal, with an axe and an auger, were the only equipment they had with which to build a home and start anew in the unbroken wilderness. The tools were the only ones of their kind in the district and were of priceless worth to the early settlers before tools were supplied by the government.(64) Christian Warner's name appears on the provision list at Niagara in 1786 as having six in his family.
On 9 May 1797, Christian Warner UE petitioned the Honourable Peter Russell for two hundred acres that was granted to him for "very meritorious service and the respectable recommendations which support him".(65) His home was located not far from the Warner Burying Ground, just below the mountain west of the village of St. Davids. The first was a log cabin, soon replaced by a roughcast house. This was burned in the 1870s and another erected in its place. The eldest son, Peter Warner, who married Mary Van Every (1787 - 1846), daughter of William and Elizabeth (Stevens) (Dochstader) Van Every, inherited his father's house. Christian and Charity Warner UE had a family of twelve children, three sons and nine daughters.
Christian Warner UE became associated with Major George Neal, the first Methodist minister in Upper Canada. In 1788 Major Neal formed the first Methodist class in the Niagara District. Christian Warner, besides being a class leader, was steward of the Niagara circuit from 1796 to 1823. He became famous as a local preacher and exhorter, and assisted Major Neal in the organization of classes at Queenston, Drummondville (Niagara Falls South) and old Niagara.
Christian Warner's "class" finally grew into the Warner Church, erected in 1801, after a great revival had swept over the circuit, resulting in the conversion of three hundred souls. This was the first Methodist Church in what is now Western Ontario, and the third in the whole province. Rev. Joseph Sawyer was in charge of the Methodist work in the District at that time.
The Warner Church was a great rendezvous for Methodists of that early day, such noted men as Ferguson, Youmans, Smith, Griffith and Ryan being in attendance at its quarterly meetings. On the Warner farm there was a camp-meeting ground, which was also the scene of many notable religious gatherings.(66)
Christian Warner UE is also buried in Warner's Cemetery, his monument reading:
UEL
Warner
Christian Warner
1754-1833
Sergeant in Butler's Rangers
Methodist Class Leader for 45 years
Captain of Lincoln Militia 1812

Despite there being an obvious need for the upgrading of the Queen Elizabeth Highway through this historical part of Southern Ontario, there is also an equally-apparent need for the preservation of this historical cemetery that maintains a distinct place in our heritage. * It was the site of the first Methodist church west of the Bay of Quinte settlement. * It is the burial ground for many United Empire Loyalists who were the founders of this great province and contains many historically significant tombstones, including that of McGregory Van Every UE, the oldest tombstone in the Niagara Peninsula to still be in a cemetery.
Thus, it would be a great discredit to the heritage of Ontario to have this cemetery further encroached by the thick pavement of eight lanes of a super highway. As future residents of Ontario enjoy their uninterrupted passage along this route, no thought will be given to the damage their trip has had on the memories and remains of so many of the forefathers of our great province.
While history should not block the progress of our province, there is an alternative that can easily be put into place that will preserve what is left of the Warner Cemetery and at the same time provide the desired up-grading of the Queen Elizabeth Highway to the proposed eight lanes. A shifting of the QEW route to the west of the Six Mile Creek at this point would accommodate all current and previously-expropriated cemetery property. Not only is it economically feasible to make this change, historians everywhere will applaud the foresight of our current provincial government leaders who will preserve Warner Cemetery and any further encroachment on it by making this small adjustment to their proposed expansion of the Queen Elizabeth Highway.
Your assistance is requested in the bid to preserve Warner Cemetery before it is too late. Letters of support should be sent to: your Member of the Ontario Provincial Parliament (M.P.P.); municipal politicians in the Niagara area; The Honourable David Turnball, Provincial Minister of Transportation, Ferguson Block, 3rd Floor, 77 Wellesley St. W., Toronto, Ontario, Canada M7A 1Z8; The Honourable Michael D. Harris, Premier, Queen's Park, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M7A 1A1; The Honourable Sheila Copps, Federal Minister of Canadian Heritage, Parliament Buildings, Wellington St., Ottawa, Canada K1A 0A6; and The Provincial Minister of Citizenship, Culture and Recreation, 6th Floor, 77 Bloor St. W., Toronto, Ontario, Canada M7A 2R9. The next step is another Public Information Session sometime in the next few months to review the results of the Public feedback and possibly to let us know which alternative they will recommend. Your assistance in keeping this in the forefront and garnering additional support is greatly appreciated. To be kept up-to-date on the progress of this project, you can contact John D. Warner, Chairman, Board of Directors, Warner Cemetery Board, 14220 Marsh Hill Road, R.R. #4, Uxbridge, Ontario. L9P 1R4. Phone: 1-905-985-4760. E-mail inquiries can be directed to Robert McBride UE: bob-mcbride@heydon.com.

About the Author
Robert Collins McBride, B.Sc., M.Ed., M.M., UE is the first Vice President of the Kawartha Branch of the United Empire Loyalists' Association and their current newsletter editor. An elementary public school teacher-librarian in Campbellford, Ontario, he resides with his wife and three daughters on a farm five miles east of Peterborough, Ontario. Very interested in further information on the Van Every families outlined above, he can be reached at Maple Grove Farms, R.R. # 1, Indian River, Ontario. K0L 2B0. Phone: (705) 295-4556. E-mail: bob-mcbride@heydon.com. He is also a direct descendant of the following UEL families and would be quite interested in sharing information about any descendants of these families:
1. Johann Adam Jung [Adam Young] UE (17 May 1717, Foxtown on the Schoharie River, Province of New York -- circa 1790, Young Tract, Grand River Settlement, Seneca Township, Haldimand County, [Ontario]), eldest son of DeWalt (Theobald) Jung (Rhineland, Germany -- Mohawk Valley, Tryon County, Province of New York) and Maria Catherine [maiden surname unknown at present]; Adam Young married circa 1742 in the Dutch Reformed Church of Stone Arabia, Mohawk Valley, Province of New York Catharine Elizabeth Schremling (circa 1720, Schremling's Kill, (Canajoharie Creek), Mohawk Valley, Province of New York -- 1798, Young Tract, Grand River Settlement, Seneca Township, Haldimand County, [Ontario]) daughter of Hendrick Schremling.
2. Adam Young's son, his sixth child, Hendrick Jung [Henry Young] UE (17 August 1762. Youngsfield, ("Thc Kyle"), Susquehanna River, Mohawk Valley, Tryon County, Province of New York -- circa 1838, Young Tract, Grand River Settlement, Seneca Township, Haldimand County, [Ontario]), twin brother of Abraham Young (17 August 1762 -- died young); Henry Young married at Fort Niagara, circa 1782, Phoebe Van Every (1767 - ) the eighth child and daughter of McGregory Van Every UE [McGrigery Vanevery / van Iveren] (27 April 1723, Arents, Orange County, Province of New York -- 25 September 1786, Van Every Farm, Lots 10 and 37, St. Davids, Niagara Township, Lincoln County, [Ontario]) married 17 January 1750 at the Dutch Reformed Church, Poughkeepsie, Province of New York to Maria Jacocks [Mary Wilcox] (29 April 1736, Poughkeepsie Dutchess County, Province of New York -- 1790's, Van Every Farm, Lots 10 and 37, St. Davids, Niagara Township, Lincoln County, [Ontario]).
3. McGregory Van Every [McGrigery Vanevery/van Iveren] UE (27 April 1723, Arents, Orange County, Province of New York -- 25 September 1786, Van Every Farm, Lots 10 and 37, St. Davids, Niagara Township, Lincoln County, [Ontario]), son of Martin van Iveren (1685, Kingston, Province of New York -- will probated 1760) married 1718 to Juda [Judith] Holmes [Homes] daughter of William and Elizabeth Holmes of New York City; McGregory Van Every UE married 17 January 1750 at the Dutch Reformed Church, Poughkeepsie, Province of New York Maria Jacocks [Mary Wilcox] (29 April 1736, Poughkeepsie Dutchess County, Province of New York -- 1790's, Van Every Farm, Lots 10 and 37, St. Davids, Niagara Township, Lincoln County, [Ontario]), possible daughter of William Williamse Jacocks UE of Poughkeepsie, Province of New York.
4. possibly William Williamse Jacocks [William Wilcox] UE ( - ) of Poughkeepsie, Province of New York. "The New York estate of William Williamse [Jacocks UE] was confiscated 1779 [Ontario Bureau of Archives, Volume II] as he was a British Loyalist [David Jaycocks U.E.L. of Osnabrook, Ont. together with a list of his children is given in the Reid Papers in Ont. Archives; these may be cousins of Mary, Wilcox.]. It is further to be noted that Francis, probably an uncle of Mary Wilcox, witnessed the will of Patrick, son of Colonel Patrick McGregory."(67)
5. Lieutenant Hendrick [Hendrich] Dachstaeder Junior UE [Dachstader/ Dachsteder/Dochsteder/Dochstader/ Docksteder] (circa 1741, Stone Arabia, Province of New York -- Caistor Township, Lincoln County, [Ontario]), second son of Hendrick [Hendrich] J. Dachstetter (circa 1714, Neu-Quunsberg (Schmidtsdorf) Schoharie Valley, Province of New York - 1774) and Anna Catharina Van Antwerp (1714 - 1789), daughter of Daniel Danielse and Ariaantje (Veeder) VanAntwerpen; Lieut. Hendrick Dachstaeder Jr. UE married 10 May 1758 Maria Magdalena [Lena] Weber. ( - ).
6. Lieut. Hendrick Dachstaeder Jr's third child, Lieutenant Frederick Dochstader UE [Doxteeder/Dachsteder] (circa 1761, Stone Arabia, Province of New York -- 19 October 1781, killed while on active duty as Lieutenant under command of Major Ross near Otsego Lake, Province of New York) married circa 1780 Elizabeth Stevens (14 December 1764 -- 6 September 1851, [
7. John Stevens UE ( - ) of Stamford. No information is currently known about John by this family researcher, Robert Collins McBride, B.Sc., M.Ed., M.M., UE, other than that his daughter, Elizabeth Stevens, married circa 1780 to Lieutenant Frederick Dochstader UE "STEVENS, John of Stamford. Mary, m. Jacob Cochenour of Flamborough West. O.C. 23 Nov 1816. Elizabeth, b. 1764; m. (1) Frederick Dochstader. m. (2) William Van Every, of Niagara d. 1857. O.C. August 1796."(68)
8. Jacob DeCou III UE (circa 1737, Oxford Township, Sussex County, Province of New Jersey -- Burford Township, Brant County, [Ontario]), son of Jacob DeCou II (19 February 1710, Mercer County, New Jersey - ) married in 1736 at Bordentown, New Jersey to Jane Duncan ( - ), daughter of Edmund Duncan (4 March 1684 - ) married on 8 April 1707 at Falls Mtg., Buck's County, Pennsylvania to Sarah Butler, and granddaughter of William and Jane Duncan who settled in Buck's County, Pennsylvania in 1687; Jacob DeCou III UE married circa 1765 in New Jersey Elizabeth Bloome (circa 1740, New Jersey -- Burford Township, Brant County, [Ontario]).
9. Jacob DeCou's eldest son, Captain John B. DeCou UE [DeCow/DeCew] (3 February 1766, Oxford Township, Sussex County, New Jersey [

Endnotes:
(1.) Larocque, Corey, "QEW widening threatens historic cemetery", The Review, Niagara Falls' newspaper, November 24, 1999. (2.) Larocque, Corey, November 24, 1999, Ibid. (3.) Tolan, Mrs. Stanley C., Christian Warner -- A Methodist Pioneer, Ontario Historical Society Papers and Records. Vol. XXXVII, Toronto, 1945. (4.) Personal E-mail from Paul Hutchinson, <slabtown@niagara.com>, 141 Bradley Street, St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada, L2T 1R8, February 27, 2000. Paul is the editor of Slabtown Press and Paul Hutchinson's Niagara Newspaper Index which can be found at the URL http://www.niagara.com/~slabtown. He also writes: "The oldest monument in the Niagara peninsula is mounted on the wall inside St. Mark's Anglican Church in Niagara-on-the-Lake. It is for Lenard Blanck who died in 1782. The Van Every, stone is the next oldest (or is the stone with the next earliest date of death) monument but is the oldest in any cemetery." (5.) Pearson, Professor Jonathan, Contributions for the Genealogies of the First Settlers in the Ancient County of Albany, reprinted for Clearfield Company Inc., by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore, Maryland, 1998, originally published in Albany, New York, 1872, p. 82. (6.) Personal E-mail from Kathy Van Every, <KathyVE@aol.com>, February 2, 2000. (7.) Piersol, Mary Blackadar, The Records of The Van Every Family: United Empire Loyalists, T.H. Best Printing Co., Toronto, 1947, pp. 5-11. (8.) Pearson, Professor Jonathan, 1872, Op. Cit., p. 82. (9.) O'Callaghan, E.B., Documents Relative to the Colonial History of the State of New York Volume II, p. 617. (10.) Ecclesiastical Records of the State of New York (The Amsterdam Correspondence, 6 volumes; 1621-1910); and Andrews, The Colonial Period of American History; Volume III. (11.) Edited by Vandelaer, translated by Pearson, Deed of Property, Early Records of Albany, Volume II, p. 73. (12.) New York State Bulletin. No. 58; and History 6; p. 201. (13.) Piersol, 1947, Op. Cit., pp. 8 - 9. (14.) Piersol, 1947, Ibid., see Index under "Frederickse, Myndert". (15.) Van Every, Kathleen M, Van Every Family Newsletter, Issue 1, 1992, pp. 3 - 4. (16.) "Records of the Reformed Dutch Church in New Amsterdam and New York: Marriages from 11 December 1639 to 26 August 1801", edited by Samuel S. Purple, M.D. [1890; reprinted by Heritage Books of Bowie, Maryland in 1997]. Dr. Purple may have misread the handwriting for the word Jever/ Jevern as Jever is thought to perhaps be the birthplace of Myndert. (17.) Piersol, 1947, Op. Cit., p. 10. "Tennis van Vechten came to New York 1638 with wife, child and two servants, in the `Arms of Normandy' and had a farm at Greenbush. In the list of his children is given, `Pieterje, wife of Myndert Frederickse'". Pearson, Op. Cit., p. 135. (18.) New York Historical Society, Volume 26, p. 65; Martin Meyer and wife Hendrica made a joint will proven 1713 in which they give their children: Johannes; Martin; Elsie, wife of Burger Myndert; and four others. "Written in good Dutch". (19.) Piersol, 1947, Op. Cit., p. 14. (20.) Piersol, 1947, Ibid., pp. 14 - 15. (21.) Piersol, 1947, Ibid., p. 19. (22.) Kingston Baptisms Dutch Reform Church Records, as quoted in Piersol, 1947, Ibid., p. 20. (23.) New York Historical Society, Volume 18. (24.) Report of State Historian Col. Series Volumes I and II. (25.) New York City Dutch Reform Church Records. (26.) "Wm. Holmes (Homes) made a will, proven 1731; wife, Elizabeth, children: George Brochie, Yanike, Judith and Priscilla.", New York Historical Society, Volume 28, p. 34, as quoted in Piersol, 1947, Op. Cit., p. 86. (27.) New York Historical Society, Volume 30, p. 112; abstract: "Juda my lawful and loving wife to be my Hol hare and exector of all my esteat.", as quoted in Piersol, 1947, Ibid., p. 86. (28.) Piersol, 1947, Ibid., p. 29. (29.) "In the marriage banns, the location of McGregory is given as `Arents' and that of Mary as Lassinberg.", as quoted in Piersol, 1947, Ibid., p. 90. (30.) Piersol, 1947, Ibid., p. 37. (31.) E-mail from Sharilyn L. Whitaker, e-mail <sharilyn@northcoast.com>, February 25, 2000, in posting to Van Every family discussion group, within Rootsweb, URL: <VAN-EVERY-L@rootsweb.com> (32.) Piersol, 1947, Op. Cit., p. 37. (33.) Church records of Zion Lutheran Church, now Athens. (34.) To-date, the following are known to be the children of McGregory Van Every UE: 1. Patrick (1754 -- probably died young); 2. Frenck (1754 -- probably died young), Patrick and Frenck being twins; 3. David (13 October 1757, Poughkeepsie, Province of New York -- circa 1820, St. George, Upper Canada); 4. Benjamin (23 May 1759, at or near Lunenburg, Province of New York -- Upper Canada); 5. Abigail (1761 -- may have died before her father); 6. Samuel (1763, Province of New York -- after 1820, probably in Beverley Township, Wentworth County, Upper Canada); 7. William (1765, probably at Lunenburg, Province of New York -- 1832, Niagara Township, Lincoln County, Upper Canada); 8. Phoebe (1767, Kinderhook, Province of New York -- either on Young Tract, Seneca Township, Haldimand County, Upper Canada or Ancaster Township, Wentworth County, Upper Canada); 9. Pieter/Peter (1771, Kinderhook, Province of New York -- before 1816, probably West Flamborough Township, Wentworth County, Upper Canada); 10. Andrew (1773, at or near Kinderhook, Province of New York -- probably West Flamborough Township, Wentworth County, Upper Canada). However, there is the possibility that McGregory Van Every UE was the father of other children prior to the birth of his twin sons, Patrick and Frenck in 1754, he having married in 1750. As well, Andrew, born in 1773, may not have been the last child of McGregory Van Every UE. Clearly there was another son, Henry, as evidenced by the following Order in Council, found in the Ontario Archives (Order in Council, 22 July 1797, Reel 3 -- 556): "T 52. 22nd July 1797. Recommended for 1200 Acres including former grants. Henry Van Every, praying for Military and family lands in right of his deceased Father McGregor Van Every. Recommended that 300 acres be granted before/as jointenants: the family lands must be given to the Mother if now alive." (35.) Church Records Kinderhook Dutch Reformed Church Volume II. "It is to be noted that a visiting pastor ministered to several communities carrying records to his home church, so that Kinderhook and Lunnenburg statistics may be of the same neighbourhood at different periods." Piersol, 1947, Op. Cit., p. 91. (36.) Baptism Record of the Reformed Church Kinderhook. New York, transcribed and indexed by Arthur C.M. Kelly, Rhinebeck, New York, December 1, 1985. (37.) Minutes of Committee for Conspiracy, New York Historical Society. (38.) Ontario Archives Report Part II, Volume II, p. 1284. (39.) Van Every, Kathleen M., "The Van Every Gazette", 1995, p. 17. (40.) Report of New York State Historian Colonial Series Vol. 1. (41.) Clinton Papers, Vol. III, p. 19; see also Report of Bureau of Ontario Archives for 1904, p. 1000. (42.) Niagara Historical Society Publications, Vol. 27, p. 5 and Vol. 39, p. 122. (43.) Ontario Historical Society Publications, Vol. 25, p. 327; and Records Order in Council Ottawa Archives. (44.) Sutherland, History of Brant, 1869/1870. (45.) Report of New York State Historian, Vol. I. (46.) Niagara Historical Society Publications, Vol. 27, p. 13. (47.) Niagara Historical Society Publications, Vol. 27. (48.) Ontario Archives Report for 1904, p. 1284. (49.) Niagara Historical Society Publications, Volume 27, p. 1; and Canadian Archives Series B. Volume 169, p. 1. (50.) Records of Niagara; A Collection of Documents Relating to the First Settlement, 1778-1783, collected and edited by Brig.-General E.A. Cruikshank, Niagara Historical Society Publications, No. 38, p. 42, from original in Public Archives of Canada, Series B., Volume 169, p. 1. (51.) Cruikshank, Brig.-General E.A., Ten Years of The Colony of Niagara, 1780-1790, Niagara Historical Society Paper No. 17, Tribune Print, Welland, 1908, p. 1. (52.) Niagara Historical Society, Volume 27, p. 2. (53.) 21 July 1784: Records of Niagara, 1784 - 7, Collected and edited by Brig. General E.A. Cruikshank, Niagara Historical Society Publications, No. 39, pp. 41 - 44 (54.) Niagara Historical Society. Volume 27; and Ottawa Archives State Papers, No. 25. (55.) 1784, Niagara Township No. 1, Lots 10 and 37 (Loyalist Settlers of Niagara Township No. 1, Survey by Philip Fry, 1787: signed Augustus Jones, Loyalist Ancestors: Some Families of the Hamilton Area, Hamilton Branch, U.E.L. Assoc. of Can., Pro Familia, Toronto, 1986, p. 15) (56.) E-mail from Sharilyn L. Whitaker, e-mail <sharilyn@northcoast.com>, February 12, 2000, in posting to Van Every family discussion group, within Rootsweb, URL: <VAN-EVERY-L@rootsweb.com> (57.) E-mail from Sharilyn L. Whitaker, e-mail <sharilyn@northcoast.com>, February 23, 2000, in posting to Van Every family discussion group, within Rootsweb, URL: <VAN-EVERY-L@rootsweb.com> (58.) E-mail from Sharilyn L. Whitaker, e-mail <sharilyn@northcoast.com>, February 6, 2000, in posting to Van Every family discussion group, within Rootsweb, URL: <VAN-EVERY-L@rootsweb.com> (59.) Piersol, 1947, Op. Cit., p. 41. (60.) Ontario Bureau of Archives Volume II., as quoted in Piersol, 1947, Ibid., p. 91. (61.) David Jaycocks U.E.L. of Osnabrook, Ontario. (62.) Piersol, 1947, Op. Cit., p. 41. (63.) Tolan, Mrs. Stanley C., 1945, Op. cit. (64.) Tolan, Mrs. Stanley C., 1945, Ibid. (65.) Ontario Department of Public Records and Archives, Report 1904, p. 967 (abridged). (66.) Tolan, Mrs. Stanley C., 1945, Op. cit. (67.) Piersol, 1947, Op. cit. (68.) Reid, William D., The Loyalists In Ontario: The Sons and Daughters of The American Loyalists Of Upper Canada, Hunterdon House, Lambertville, New Jersey; 1973; p. 308.





Collaboration
  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)


Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.