Surnames/tags: Adoption Angels Adoption
All Adoption Angels in one way or another fall under the title of Researcher, but an Adoption Angel Researcher is someone who wishes to use their research skills on behalf of adoptees and other Angels helping adoptees find family.
What Researchers Help With
- Doing location or resource specific look ups for other Adoption Angels upon request.
- Help Adoptees who have identified their biological parents to grow their tree through research.
- Help Adoptees who have identified their biological parents to add their family to WikiTree.
Preparing to be a Researcher
- First read the Adoption Angels Mission Statement so you are familiar with what Angels do and do not do.
- Read the Adoption Angels Welcome Mat for general instructions.
- Become familiar with the Adoption Angels contact form.
- Make sure your location or research expertise are listed on the Angel Directory (on the Tracking Spreadsheet) for other Angels to see.
Where do I find applicants who need help?
- Look on the Researchers tab in the Tracking Spreadsheet. All applicant's who need research help will be listed there. Put your name in the Angel column and then reach out to the applicant to offer help.
How do I know when another Angel needs research help?
- They will either contact you directly (if you have a location or other specialty they need help in) or they will post in the Discussion Google group asking for help.
Do I have to add the applicant's family to WikiTree for them?
- This is not required nor expected. However, if this is work you absolutely enjoy, you are welcome to offer this choice to the applicant. You will need to be on their personal profile trusted list so you can add them as manager to all the profiles you create. Be sure to remove yourself as manager once the work is completed.
What if I don’t have access to the information I need to continue the research?
- You aren’t expected to have access to all the records you might need or have expertise in every area. Feel free to reach out in the Adoption Angels Discussion Google Group for research help from other Angels at any time.
The applicant is expecting me to do everything for them and this is making me feel uncomfortable.
- We expect applicants to have a hand in every aspect of their family search to the best of their abilities. If they are treating you like a paid genealogist and offering no assistance or feedback in their search, feel free to tell them your expectation of their help. If the problem continues, feel free to tell them you feel you have done all you can for them at this time. We will then close the application.
Close Out Procedure
If you have worked with an applicant from the Researcher tab to build a tree or find family, please see the Close Out Procedure Space Page for more information on what you need to do to close out the application when you are finished.
Need More Information?
- If you need more information on what documents are available to adoptees based on location, see the Resources by Location help page.
- If you need more help with questions about DNA, you can refer the member to DNA Basics for Adoptees
- If an adoptee has a question you are unable to answer, feel free to ask in the Adoption Angels Discussion Google Group
- Repeated questions will be added to the FAQ section of the Researcher help page.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Emma MacBeath and Adoption Angels WikiTree. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)