Welcome to the Adoption Angels! Being a part of this project is one of the most rewarding things you could ever imagine.
The first questions new Adoption Angels often ask are How do I get started and How does this all work?
How Do I get Started
Reply to the message from Emma and let her know:
- whether you would like to be a Mentor, Family Finder, Researcher, or Educator (or more than one). See the links below to see what activities each role does. You will be required to choose at least one role.
- What country/state you live in
- What languages you speak (if other than English)
- Whether you understand DNA and can help others with it
- What areas you prefer to take cases in (country/state)--if you have a preference
- What research or location specialties you might have
After answering these questions and once you have received the AA badge, Emma will then add you to the private AA Google group and send you an invitation to the Google spreadsheet called the Adoption Angels Tracker. Please read the How-To tab on the tracker to understand how to use it.
Make sure you have been added to the Adoption Angels Google Group. If not, ask to join.
Read the following help pages to become familiar with some of what Adoption Angels is all about:
- Mission Statement
- Adoption Angels Mentors
- Adoption Angels Family Finders
- Adoption Angels Researchers
- Adoption Angels Educators
Help Pages for Adoptees:
Many of these help pages have links to additional help pages
How Does Adoption Angels Work?
- Adoptees (and other cases of unknown parentage) fill out an Adoption Angel help request form.
- All request forms are automatically posted in the AA Applications Google group. You will have access to this Google group so you can see the applications as needed.
- After weeding out duplicates, Emma adds the applicants's name to the the Mentor list on the AA Progress Tracker.
- A Mentor Angel will check the list and choose which applicants they wish to greet. They will send a form letter with several help links asking that each applicant has the information they need to make searches more efficient. The Mentor will work with the applicant until they are ready for the next step. (see the Mentor help page for this process)
- Family Finders will check the waiting list of those ready for finding family for cases they feel they can help. When you find one you wish to work on, put your name in the Assigned Angel field.
- Then contact the adoptee or relative 1) First through their WikiTree page or 2) through the email provided in application found in the Google group if they did not give a Wiki-ID on the application.
- If you hear back from the adoptee and you will proceed with the case, let Emma know so she can move the person's name to the Cases in Progress tab. Or simply put a note in the notes column next to your name. Emma will see it.
- If after two attempts and a couple of weeks of waiting, you do not hear from the applicant, let Emma know (or put a note in the notes column) so she can move the name to the closed cases tab. These people will need to reapply if they still want help later.
- When you have found the birth relative for your first case, let Emma know so she can have Eowyn award you an Angels Wings Badge. Also, you can post in the Google group so we can all celebrate the victory! (and let Emma know when a case is complete so she can move the person to the solved cases tab)
What if I Don't Know How to Find Birth Family?
We are currently working on a training program for new Angels who want to learn how to use DNA to help find birth family. However, until then you can also help by:
- Doing record lookups for other Angels
- Answering questions on g2g
- Help adoptees build their trees on WikiTree once their family is found
- Mentoring applicants
- Help update resources
What If I'm Still Not Sure What to Do?
Let Emma know and she will team you up with an experienced Adoption Angel who can help you learn the ropes.
Still have questions? The Adoption Angel Google group is the best place for Angels to ask for help or advice.
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Emma MacBeath and Adoption Angels WikiTree. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)