Categories: Adoption Angels.
Welcome to the Adoption Angels! Being a part of this project is one of the most rewarding things you could ever imagine.
The first questions new Adoption Angels often ask are How do I get started and How does this all work?
How Do I get Started
- Make sure you have been added to the Adoption Angels Google Group. If not, ask to join.
- Send a message to Emma and let her know:
- 1) whether you would like to be a Mentor or a Family Finder (or both)
- 2) What country/state you live in
- 3) What languages you speak (if other than English)
- 4) Whether you understand DNA and can help others with it
- 5) What areas you prefer to take cases in (country/state)--if you have a preference
After answering these questions, Emma will then send you an invitation to the Google spreadsheet called the Adoption Angels Tracker. Please see this post on our Google group for an explanation of the tracker
Read the following help pages to become familiar with some of what Adoption Angels is all about:
Help Pages for Adoptees:
Many of these help pages have links to additional help pages
- We have a second WikiTree Google group called WikiTree Adoptees for adoptees. Here they can participate in discussions and ask and answer questions. You can join if your are an adoptee or as an Adoption Angel if you wish to help answer questions within the group. Click on the link to request to join.
How Does Adoption Angels Work?
- Adoptees fill out an Adoption Angel help request form.
- All request forms are automatically post on the AA Google group. You will either get an email for each one or you can change your settings in the Google group to get the emails less often.
- Eowyn sends each request an automatic form letter with several help links asking that each applicant has the information they need to make searches more efficient.
- When the applicant is ready, they will message Emma who will then add the person's name to the the waiting list on the AA Progress Tracker.
- Mentors and Family Finders will check the waiting list for cases they feel they can help. When you find one, put your name in the Assigned Angel box.
- Then contact the adoptee or relative 1) First through their WikiTree page or 2) through the email provided in application found in the Google group if they did not give a Wiki-ID on the application.
- If you hear back from the adoptee and you will proceed with the case, let Emma know so she can move the person's name to the Cases in Progress tab.
- If after multiple attempts and a couple of weeks of waiting, you do not hear from the applicant, let Emma know so she can move the name to the closed cases tab. These people will need to reapply.
- When you have found the birth relative, let Eowyn know so she can award you an Angels Wings Badge. Also, post in the Google group so we can all celebrate the victory! (and so Emma will know to move the person to the solved cases tab)
What If I'm Still Not Sure What to Do?
Let Emma know and she will team you up with an experienced Adoption Angel who can help you learn the ropes.
Still have questions? The Adoption Angel Google group is the best place for Angels to ask for help or advice. But be sure to create a new post. Any replies/posts added to an application post are not private because they will also be sent to the applicant.
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Emma MacBeath and Adoption Angels WikiTree. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)