Surnames/tags: Delaware black_heritage
"Documents record the first black person in Delaware territory was Anthony ... captured by the skipper of the Grip in 1638. In 1639, 'Black Anthony' was delivered to Fort Christina and nine years later served as special assistant to Governor Printz" (Newton, 1997).
Online resources about slavery in Delaware:
History and General Resources
- Slavery in Delaware at Slavery in the North
- Newton, J. N. (1997). Black Americans in Delaware: An Overview at the University of Delaware
- Williams, W.H. (2001). Slavery and Freedom in Delaware 1639 - 1865, (4th ed) at Google Books
- "Slavery Papers" at the Delaware Public Archive
Resources by Location
- Sussex County - Delaware State Archives discovered documents from 1866 projection reduction of tax revenue due to emancipation.