Surnames/tags: District_of_Columbia black_heritage
US Black Heritage Project Home Page
African-American Genealogy Resources
African-American Resources by State
History and General Resources
Two pre-existing settlements were included in the territory when it was created: the port of Georgetown, Maryland, founded in 1751, and the port city of Alexandria, Virginia, founded in 1749 Today the city is divided into quadrants centered on the Capitol Building, and there are as many as 131 neighborhoods.
Resources by Location
- Emancipation of Slaves in the District of Columbia, 1862-1863 Search tool
- DC court records
- The Pearl Affair
- Slavery in DC court records
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)