Surnames/tags: alabama alabama_roots us_history
The goal of this project is to provide a place for Alabamians to have help and discuss all things Alabama and their families.
We're always looking for new members! To join us simply add the category to your profile page and check out some of our To-Do ideas below. We will be more then happy to help you in any way we can as will any of the Alabama Project lead members. We'd like to focus on adding those folks who are linked with Alabama through history, as well as create free-space pages for important events and organizations.
Here are some of the tasks that we think need to be done. Project members have been working on them, and could use your help.
- The Description of Alabama and her families .
- Adding town-level categories to profiles
- Locate Alabama Notables that need to be added or improved (and work with the Notables project to get that done.)
- Errors on profiles from Alabama, as reported by the Database Errors Project.
What Members are working on
- Mayor David Vann, being worked with by Jenny Snyder
- Eddie Kendricks of the Temptations, being worked with by Jenny Snyder
- Early Alabama History space page (pre 1820) is being compiled by Lisa R. Franklin
- Early Alabama History
- Sweet Home Alabama: The Alabama Experience, 1993. Part 1, Part 2.
- Alabama State Archives
- University of Alabama
- Tracking Your Roots
- Encyclopedia of Alabama
- Military archives at Alabama Department of Archives and History
- Brief Historical Sketches of Military Organizations Raised In Alabama During the Civil War
- Alabama Resources, including state & federal census' at FamilySearch.org
- Birmingham Photos
- Alabama State Parks
- Alabama historical time line
- Alabama Archives, Libraries, and Societies on Ancestry.com
- Alabama on Archives.gov
- Alabama Revolutionary Soldiers on Archives.gov
- The Creek Indians in Alabama 19 Mar 2009 presentation of Kathryn Braund at the Alabama Department of Archives and History's ArchiTreats
- Birmingham Public Library Online
- Obituary Index : Birmingham Area Newspapers
- Alabama Genweb When you use this link, know the state genweb has records that the county may not have and the county has some records that are not available for the state, so you should search both places
- Alabama History.com
- Travel Guide: Birmingham, Alabama
- Small Town Flavor: Fairhope, Alabama
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwaJDdj_VR0 Ghost Towns: Old Cahawba, Alabama]
- Holtville, Alabama : A Rural Community -1945 American Town Educational Documentary
- Alabama City Remembered as Climactic Battle of Civil Rights Movement
- Video of Diane McWhorter Author "Carry Me Home"
- An OverView of the Civil Rights Movement in Birmingham Alabama
- Alabama's Invisible Seal 19 Nov 2015 presentation of David Robb at the Alabama Department of Archives and History's ArchiTreats
- Alabama Family History & Research By Robert S. Davis at ancestry.com.
- Historic Markers Across Alabama
- Alabama Department of Archives and History's "Who Are These People" - help identify Alabamians in old archives photographs.
- List of customers in the Tuscaloosa Al store McConnells from 1836 to 1846
Images: 3 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Lisa Franklin, Anon Snyder, T Taylor, Anon Murphy, Sharon Butler, Allecia Mullins, and Alan Murphy. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 8 Aug 2017 at 02:23 GMT Peggy (Drinkard) Longhurst wrote:
Can I Join? I am a Native Alabamian and have some extensive research available that I have gathered over my years of interest in History & Ancestry.
On 19 Jul 2017 at 21:40 GMT Carolyn Murray wrote:
On 5 Jun 2017 at 22:54 GMT Anon Snyder wrote:
Markers today, you can search by county
On 26 May 2016 at 22:57 GMT Brooke (Myers) Whisnant wrote:
I'd like to join the Alabama Roots project. My husband was born and raised here in southeast AL, and he has some very deep seeded roots here.
On 18 Feb 2016 at 00:32 GMT Abby (Brown) Glann wrote:
Let's work on some ideas for goals/tasks. I like your idea to put together a description of Alabama, maybe a brief history included? We should also link to the Alabama Cemeteries project. Are there prominent Alabamaians we can start a list of to put on WikiTree or prominent families? Certain companies that have been instrumental in her history? Events that shaped the state? I am from Iowa, so the South may as well be another world to me :-) I have the Midwest down, ha. If we just get a few ideas started here, we can post about Alabama Roots already being a sub-project of US History and get some interest here to help. The tag would be alabama_roots, but we'd want to follow alabama, too, to see when folks show an interest. And we can check who is already following that to recruit.
On 17 Feb 2016 at 16:50 GMT Anon Snyder wrote:
On 17 Feb 2016 at 16:07 GMT Abby (Brown) Glann wrote:
We're about to launch a new top-level project for US History and those events based in the US. I think this would fit in wonderfully as a sub-project. What do you think? Do you have some ideas for goals? Adding Alabama families? Working on certain surnames that are prominent? Were there events that could contain certain groups? Great idea. Thanks for starting it!
On 13 Jan 2016 at 06:07 GMT Anon Snyder wrote: