Alexandria_Parish_Churchyard.jpg

Alexandria Parish Churchyard

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: 1840 [unknown]
Location: Main Street, Alexandria, West Dunbartonshire, Scotlandmap
Surnames/tags: Cemeteries Scotland
This page has been accessed 45 times.


A free space page to capture details on those interred at the Old Alexandria Parish Churchyard.

Alexandria Parish Church opened in 1840. A new burial ground was also opened in the grounds of the church, further strengthening its position as the town’s parish church at the centre of the local community. At the time and for 40 years after, it was the only burial ground in Alexandria.

After the Disruption of 1843, the Church cancelled the quoad sacra status of many parishes. This included Alexandria, which was reduced to the status of a Chapel, and the minister lost his seat on the Presbytery. The recently appointed minister left, as did almost the entire church membership, which transferred to a new a Free Church congregation, 400-people strong, which was formed in Alexandria.

It was not until 1866 that Alexandria regained its quoad sacra status. By then Rev William Kidd had been the minister for 22 years, having been ordained in January 1844, and went on to serve as minister for another 25 years until his death in 1891. The Church was extended in 1906 and in that year, too, Church Halls were added in what was by then called Church St, but had previously been known as both Kirk St and Ann St.

Further information on the history of this parish church is on http://www.valeofleven.org.uk/schools.html





Collaboration
  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)


Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.