Location: Amherst, Hancock, Maine, United States
Surnames/tags: One_Place_Studies Maine Hancock_County_Maine
Amherst is a small town in Hancock County Maine, settled about 1805 and was incorporated 5 Feb 1831.
|-1534||name unknown||Wabanaki peoples - the Maliseet, Micmac, Passamaquoddy and Penobscot tribes|
|1534-1760||Nouvelle France||Under French control, no known European settlers|
Lincoln, Massachusetts Bay
|France surrenders September 8, 1760, Britain officially takes control of the area|
|America's declarers independence from Britain July 4, 1776|
|1786||Township 26, Lincoln, Massachusetts||Land Lottery:Bingham's Purchase T26 MD BPP |
Township 26 Middle Division Bingham's Penobscot Purchase
|1789||Township 26, Hancock, Massachusetts||Hancock County is formed June 25, 1789|
|1820||Township 26, Hancock, Maine||Maine becomes the 23 state March 15, 1820|
|1822||Plantation 26, Hancock, Maine||Plantation No. 26 formed in 1822 from T26 MD BPP|
|1831||Amherst, Hancock, Maine||Amherst incorporated February 5, 1831 from Plantation No. 26|
Villages, Locations and Settlements
|Villages, Locations |
|Pioneer Settler||Arrival Year|
|Goodell Silsby (1780-1870)||1805|
|Asahel Foster (1773-1851)||<1808|
|Judah West (1780-)|<1808|
|Elisha Chick (1780-1870)||<1808|
- Amherst Google Maps
Varney's Gazetteer of the state of Maine has the following:
Amherst situated on Union River, 22 miles north-northeast of Ellsworth, and about midway of Hancock County. It is bounded on the north by Township No. 2, east by Aurora, south by Mariaville, and west by Clifton, in Penobscot County. Its territory is 6 miles square. It has several good water powers, improved by one saw, one clapboard, one grain, and two shingle mills. There is also a sole-leather tannery, using hides from South America and Mexico principally. The village is near the centre of the town. It is on the stage-lines from Ellsworth and Aurora to Bangor. The river divides the town diagonally into two nearly equal sections, the north-west and the south-east. The land on the east side of the river is favorable to orcharding ; but on the west, excepting intervals, the soil is granitic and the surface hilly. The principal hills are known as the Springy Brook Mountains. Near the Corner is a high ledge some acres in extent, thought to be porphyritic, and containing crystals of iron pyrites, with compact feldspar. Crystals of quartz are also found. There is some slate in the town. Amherst is remarkable for its improved domestic cattle ; and this is due mainly to the energy and enterprise of A. B. Buzzell, Esq. This town was a part of the Bingham purchase. It was set off from the plantation of Mariaville in 1822, and incorporated in 1831. Amherst N. H. is said to have been honored in the selection of its name. Settlement began about 1805. In that year Capt. Goodell Silsby came in, and in 1806-7 his parents came and took the lots now known as the " Old Silsby Place." Before 1808 closed there had come in, also, Mrs. Kimball, Asahel Foster, Jesse Gils, Joseph Day, Judah West, and Elisha Chick. Amherst has four public schoolhouses, valued at $425. The valuation of estates in 1870, was $57,276. In the valuation of 1880, it was $72,524. Rate of taxation, about 2 per cent. The population in 1870 was 350. In the census of 1880 it was 362.
- Maine Genealogy Net Amherst
- Varney, George J. 1886. Gazetteer of the state of Maine: with numerous illustrations.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Darryl Rowles and One Place Studies Project WikiTree. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)