Surnames/tags: Andrewartha Trewartha Trewarth
About the Project
The Andrewartha Name Study project serves as a collaborative platform to collect information on the Andrewartha name. The hope is that other researchers like you will join the study to help make it a valuable reference point for other genealogists who are researching or have an interest in the Andrewartha name.
As a One Name Study, this project is not limited to persons who are related biologically. Individual studies can be used to branch out the research into specific methods and areas of interest, such as geographically (England Andrewartha's), by time period (18th Century Andrewartha's), or by topic (Andrewartha DNA, Andrewartha Occupations, Andrewartha Statistics). These studies may also include a number of family branches which have no immediate link with each other. Some researchers may even be motivated to go beyond the profile identification and research stage to compile fully sourced, single-family histories of some of the families they discover through this name study project.
Also see the related surnames and surname variants.
How to Join
To join the Andrewartha Name Study, first start out by browsing our current research pages to see if there is a specific study ongoing that fits your interests. If so, feel free to add your name to the Membership list below, post an introduction comment on the specific team page, and then dive right in!
Once you are ready to go, you can also show your project affiliation with the ONS Member Sticker:
Here are some of the current research pages included in the study. I'll be working on them, and could use your help!
- This is a One Name Study to collect together in one place everything about the surname ANDREWARTHA and its variants. The hope is that other researchers like you will join our study to help make it a valuable reference point for people studying lines that cross or intersect. Please contact the project leader, add categories to your profiles, add your questions to the bulletin board, add details of your name research, and so on.
- Topola Genealogy Viewer – genealogy tree visualization and exploration tool
and the Link : WikiTree Apps from Przemek Więch, in g2g March 2020
|Aden 1846 - VDL |
Theresa 1847 - SA
Thanet 1854 - SA
- From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Andrewartha and Trewartha are Cornish family names. "Cornish names" says:
- "tre" a "town", feminine, maybe a hamlet or house
- "tref : village, town", Brythonic Celt Welsh about 4-500 AD
- "Wartha" : "upper" (maybe higher or greater or on a hill) : cf.
- "Wollas" : "lower" (maybe smaller or lesser or in a valley, of the two).
- Definite article:
- "An" used as : "of the", "in the", "on the", "at the", in place names. Brythonic Celt Cornish language (Dexter, p. 18). The book mentions "Trewartha" (p. 25), and "Andrewartha" (p. 60).
- The "Handbook of Cornish Names" states: "Trewartha" is a Cornish name meaning "Upper Farm" or "Upper Homestead".
- Range & Problem
= This is an extract of an Office of National Statistics database, (ONS:UK) and contains a list of surnames in use in England, Wales and the Isle of Mann in September 2002.
The list contains almost 270,000 surnames, shared by 54.4 million people.
( ANDREW . . . . . . . 10201 . . . . . . 745 ) [ as reference only ]
( Surname . . . . . . . Count . . Ranking )
ANDREWARTHA . . . 317 . . . =15738
ANDREWARTHUR . . . . . 5 . . =230412
ANDREWATHA . . . . . . . 7 . . = 100824
TREWARTHA . . . . . . 221 . . . =19986
AndrEwartha-12 & AndrAwartha-1 : are matches : they both m: Jane Hendra-209. [Sep 2016.]
- and now found : Hendra-114 Hendra-114 [& merged 2017]
- The problem is spelling in pre-1841 records and names.
- Andrewartha and Trewartha are the traditional surnames - see Trewartha-7, circa 1591. There are a number of alias and aka's in the hard copy books and MS :
- Andrew is a common alias.
- Andrewartha in OPC circa : 1632, Gwithian.
- Andraw, circa 1715, Illogan.
- ANDREW WORTHA, circa 1731, Cowan.
- ANDREWWORTHA, c.1738, Breage, and,
- ANDREW-WORTHA, c.1747,
- ANDREWORTHA. . .
- ANDRAWARTHA, c.1751, Gwinear. . .
- ANDREWWARTHA, c.1760, Breage, . and
- ANDREAWARTHA, c.1763. . .
- ANDRAWORTHA, c.1802, Germoe. [to 1864 search]
- ANTREWARTHA, c.1686? Gwithian. (Baptism)
Now for Trewartha England Births and Christenings,
Ann Trewartha, 1538-1975, christening: 1 February 1789 Gwennap,
Ann Trewortha 1538-1975 christening: 24 August 1813 Gwennap,
Anne Toewartha, 1538-1975, christening: 2 February 1829 Gwennap,
Ann Trewarth[a] 1538-1975 birth: 21 December 1829 Carharrack,
- = This is an extract of an Office of National Statistics database, (ONS:UK)
- Surname Count Ranking
- TREAVARTHA 9 =154387
- TREGARTHA 47 =52803
- TREGARTHEN 67 =42509
- TREGORTHA 7 =182958
- TREGURTHA 63 =44121
- TREMBIRTH 9 =154387
- TRENBERTH 77 =39021
- TRENBIRTH 35 =63515
- TREVARTHA 9 =154387
- TREVARTHEN 213 =20477
- TREWARTHA 221 =19986
| Visit :Family |
- Stamp Duties Act 1783
|Gen||Relationship||Dates of birth||Number||# identified||% age|
|1||Parents||1904 - 1916||2||2||100|
|4||2* Great G-Parents||1803||16||8 + 4 = 12||75|
|5||3* Great G-parents||1777||32||11 + 3 = 14||%|
|6||4* Great G-Parents||1750||64||6 + 1 = 7||%|
|7||5* Great G-parents||1702||128||G||%|
|8||6* Great G-parents||1675||256||H||%|
|9||7* Great G-Parents||1646||512||I||%|
|10||8* Great G-parents||1598||1024||J||%|
|11||9* Great G-parents||1563||2048||K||%|
|12||10* Great G-parents||c. 1537||4096||L||%|
|13||11* Great G-parents||c. 1515||8192||M||%|
- Worth a read => Andrewartha and Trewartha : Dec 1, 2016.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: John Andrewartha and One Name Studies WikiTree. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)