Surnames/tags: Andrus Andrews
The Andrus surname is a variant spelling of the surname Andrews. If your Andrus family can trace it's origin back to Andrews, please see the Andrews Name Study for DNA comparisons and other information.
This is a project that I hope will become a valuable reference point for any Andrus researchers alike to share their knowledge by posting their DNA tests, resources, pictures, stories, and anything else of interest to this surname.
For a complete list of Andrus profiles on WikiTree please see the index page.
Please join by contacting the project leader, Alison Andrus, and start adding this category to your Andrus profiles. Post questions and comments to the bulletin board and add details about your particular area of interest.
- This unusual name is a variant of the male personal name "Andrew", which derives from the male personal name "Andrew, which derives from the Greek "Andread", a derivative of the word "Andreois", meaning "manly", from "aner", "andros", man or male.
The Andrus Name Study is Under Construction!! Please be patient as I work to create a useful resource for collaboration.
- Like the background? It's the St. Andrews Tartan!
Although DNA analysis can assist in determining that two or more participants who have tested their yDNA descend from a common male ancestor, it will not identify the specific ancestor without the use of accurate record documentation used in genealogical research.
The purpose of this study is to work together to establish an accurate Andrus Family tree by using the best possible sources available for documentation. To date, there are 23 unrelated Andrews lines established by the Andrews DNA Project hosted at Family Tree DNA. In almost all cases, the common ancestor has not been identified in these lines. We can help the effort by providing the best Andrus tree possible.
What You Can Do
- Work cooperatively together with other Andrus profile managers to create the best Andrus tree possible.
- Add the category for Andrus Name Study to profiles.
- Search out original rather than derivative documentation and add sources to Andrus profiles.
- Write comprehensive, well-sourced biographies for Andrus profiles.
- Check for duplicates and request merges.
- Contact Alison to request PPP status for those profiles that meet the criteria for project protection. This will protect them from an incorrect merge.
- If you are a male with the surname Andrus, Andrews, etc., and haven't already, please consider testing your yDNA through the Andrews Family Tree DNA Project so that we can all have a better understanding of our heritage and possibly make new discoveries.
- Do you have an Andrus profile you are especially proud of? Let Alison know and we will feature it on this page.
Andrus Name Distribution
Click on an image for a close-up view.
Earliest Known Settlement
This is a work in progress. Please add your info to the table below or contact Alison to add it for you.
See the Andrews Name Study for early settlement and DNA test comparisons.
Andrus Researchers on WikiTree
|Researcher Name||Earliest Known Ancestor||Place of Origin||Place of Settlement||Date of Settlement||Next Migration||DNA Tested||First Ancestor Who Used Andrus Spelling|
|Alison Andrus||Lt. John Andrews||England||Ipswich, MA, USA||1637||Norwich, CT, USA||Yes||Zebediah Andrus, Sr.|
Andrus Place Names
- Andrus Island, island in the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta, California, United States
- Mount Andrus, shield volcano in Antarctica
Notable Andrus Names
- Bart Andrus (born 1958), Head coach of the Toronto Argonauts, Canadian football team
- Bill Andrus (1907–1982), American baseball player
- Burton C. Andrus (1892–1977), American soldier
- Cecil Dale Andrus (born 1932), American politician
- Chuck Andrus (1928–1997), American jazz double-bassist
- Elvis Augusto Andrus Torres (born 1988), Venezuelan baseball player
- Ernest Andrus (1923-), American Navy WWII Vet running across the country to raise money for the LST325 Floating Museum
- Ethel Percy Andrus (1884–1967), American educator and founder of the AARP
- Fred Andrus (1850–1937), American baseball player
- Henry Andrus (1844–1935), American politician
- Jerry Andrus (1918–2007), American magician
- John Emory Andrus (1841–1934), American politician
- Louis John Andrus (born 1943), American football player
- Marc Handley Andrus (born 1956), American bishop
- Mark Andrus, American screenwriter
- Milo Andrus (1814–1893), American leader in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Sedley Andrus (1915–2009), British officer of arms
- Shane Andrus (born 1980), American football placekicker
- Sherman Andrus, American gospel singer, lead singer of The Imperials
- William Wiman (Wyman) Andrus (1858–1935), Canadian baseball player
Andrus Research On The Web
- Lieut. John Andrews of Chebacco, Mass. 1637-1708; Compiled by Hon. H. F. Andrews, pub. 1909.
- Lieut. John Andrews of Ipswich, Essex County, Massachusetts; by Betty Andrews Storey, digitally pub. 2009.
- Genealogical and Personal Memoirs; pg. 1168
- Genealogy and history of the Baker, Andrus, Clark, and Adams families; by Albert Clark Baker; pub. 1920; 486 pgs.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Lynden Rodriguez, Ted Marmo, Alison Andrus, Davian Pfeiff, and Duncan Sparrell. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 22 Aug 2016 at 22:23 GMT James LaLone wrote:
On 13 Feb 2016 at 20:06 GMT Lynden (Raber) Rodriguez OCDS wrote:
On 12 Feb 2016 at 00:11 GMT Chris Whitten wrote:
On 5 Feb 2016 at 22:04 GMT Taylor (Fritz) Worthington-Gilchrist R.N. wrote:
On 2 Dec 2015 at 21:47 GMT Al Adams wrote:
On 10 Jun 2015 at 18:17 GMT Alison Andrus wrote: