upload image

Angaston Old Cemetery, Angaston, South Australia

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: [unknown] [unknown]
Location: [unknown]
This page has been accessed 135 times.


This page is part of the South Australia Cemeteries Team.

See the:

First Angaston Cemetery

Cemetery Name: Angaston Old Cemetery

Aka: Angaston First Cemetery

Address: 8 Hannay Crescent Angaston, South Australia, Australia

GPS Coordinates:

Information:

Angaston's first cemetery was established in 1847 on an acre of land bought from G F Angas at a cost of ten shillings. It was conducted as a private operation under the management of a group of trustees.

The cemetery was enclosed by a stone wall paid for by subscription and divided into 80 plots measuring 8 ½ feet by 8 feet. Money subscribed was credited as part payment against leases or fees. The cemetery was heavily regulated with an annual maintenance fee. In 1848, the burial fee was one pound divided equally between the minister, sexton and cemetery trust fund.

According to the register, 223 people were buried in this cemetery between 1847 and 1869. Only a few marked plots remain, the earliest dated 1856.



This is an "orphaned" profile — there's no Profile Manager to watch over it. Please adopt this profile.


Collaboration
  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)


Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.