Location: Annandale, Kilmaurs, Ayrshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
Surnames/tags: hay guthrie orr
Annandale Past and Present 1839-1900 is a book written by Hannah Longmuir (Guthrie) Hay (abt.1846-1924) and published in 1901 by Whitcome and Tombs Ltd., of Christchurch, New Zealand.
Link to full text of book in New Zealand Electronic Text Collection. The book includes a family tree at the end.
It details the history of the following interlinked Scottish families:
- Thomas Orr (1772-abt.1851) and Hannah (Longmuir) Orr (1782-1858), the author's grandparents -- who were for many decades associated with the farm Annandale at Kilmaurs, Ayrshire (just outside of Kilmarnock)
- James Hay (1770-1839) and Marion (Taylor) Hay (1770-1831), who moved to Kilmaurs.
- John Guthrie (abt.1770-1849) and Elisabeth (Stevenson) Guthrie (abt.1785-1834) of Milnathort, Kinross-shire.
Many of the descendants of these families, including the author, moved to New Zealand; particularly to the Christchurch area.
The family appears on the farm in the 1841 and 1851 censuses. The lease was not renewed to the Orrs in 1857.
- 1841 Census: "1841 Scotland Census"
Parish: Kilmaurs; ED: 5; Page: 9; Line: 390; Year: 1841
Ancestry Record 1004 #2517459 (accessed 20 January 2022)
Thomas Orr (65), Farmer, in Ama Andale, Kilmaurs, Ayrshire. Born in Ayrshire, Scotland.
|Alexander Wilson||11 Mo|
- 1851 Census: "1851 Scotland Census"
Parish: Kilmaurs; ED: 6; Page: 14; Line: 1; Roll: CSSCT1851_134; Year: 1851
Ancestry Record 1851Scotland #3191055 (accessed 20 January 2022)
Thomas Orr (79), Farmer Of 210 Ac Employing 6 Labourer (portioner In Hilmann), head of household in Annandale, Kilmaurs, Ayrshire.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)