upload image

Annangrove, New South Wales

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: [unknown] [unknown]
Location: [unknown]
This page has been accessed 163 times.

Annangrove is a suburb of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia 42 kilometres north-west of the Sydney central business district in the local government area of The Hills Shire and part of the Hills District region.

Annangrove is named after Annangrove House, the home of Edward Charles Johnston, a grandson of George Johnston who had received a large grant in present-day Annandale. He had named his house Annandale, after his birthplace Annan in Scotland and his grandson also used the name for his house in this area. Timber cutting was the first industry here and then the land was used for orchards from the 1880s. Edward Johnston bought his land in 1893 from Bennett William Johns. The post office took the Annangrove name from his house when it opened on 16 October 1895, as did the school in 1896.[1]

The bulk of settlement in the area was in the 1880's-1890's, the earliest Europeans were recorded in 1823 and were loggers. Prior to 1895, Annangrove may have been referred to as Kenthurst (1886-1895), or Little Dural (1858-1886).

Streets in Annangrove[2]

Annangrove Road
  • Amanda Place - created by subdivision of the Shopland property in 1971. Named after the daughter of Peter Etherington, the Real Estate Agent who effected the subdivision, p155.
  • Annangrove Road - formerly known as Rouse Hill Road, p154.
  • Blue Gum Road - dates from at least 1859 when it became the track leading to the property of Stephen Cusbert, p156.
  • Everett Place -
  • Joylyn Road - named in the memory Lynda Joyce Sedger, p163.
  • Langlands Road - named after Edgar Robert Langlands, p163.
  • O'Keefe Road - named after Michael O'Keefe, p166.
  • Pedvin Place - named after Reginald Pedvin, p167.
  • Shoplands Road - named after William James Shopland and his wife Ellen nee Armstrong, p169.
  • Whites Ridge Road - resulted from a 1980 subdivision of the Blum Gum Road property of Russell Franklin White, p171.
  • Woodland Road - was a crown reserved road on alienated land. Named by council in 1974, p172.

Sources

  1. Wikipedia, accessed 25 Sep 2014.
  2. A History of Kenthurst and Annangrove, Charlton, 1981. Held by Veronica Williams, ISBN 0 9593707 0 6.

See Also: Category: Kenthurst, New South Wales and Category: Annandale, New South Wales



This is an "orphaned" profile — there's no Profile Manager to watch over it. Please adopt this profile.


Collaboration
  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)


Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.