Location: Kennard, Houston, Texas, United States
Cemetery name: Antioch Cemetery
Address: 9VCC+X3 Kennard, Texas 75847
GPS Coordinates: 31.37273485007843, -95.12965958496154
This graveyard has long been associated with the Antioch Primitive Baptist Church, which was organized in 1859. The first marked grave, that of Mary J. Cramer, is dated 1860. Antioch cemetery also contains unmarked burial sites. Many of which are for transient sawmill workers who lived in the area while the 4C mill was in operation of Ratcliff. The communities of Ratcliff, Hagerville, Kennard, and Stubblefield continue to use the cemetery for the burial of descendants of Antioch Church members.
Jim Tom Ainsworth and DeLoyd English Rudloff write:
- Antioch Cemetery is located between Kennard and Ratcliff, approximately 3 and one-half miles south of Highway 7. It cam into being after the establishment of the Antioch Primitive Baptist Church (organized in 1859), and has retained the original name of the church., which served the people of Coltharp and Hagerville. The church organizers also served as Trustees for the cemetery, and received the deed to the land "for the use and benefit of the Antioch Primitive Baptist Church of the Regular Predestinarian Faith and Order"
- The oldest marked grave in the cemetery is that of Mary J. Cramer (b. January 2, 1843 d. September 12, 1860). There are over 350 marked graves in Antioch Cemetery, from residents of Coltharp, Hagerville, Stubblefield, Ratcliff, and Kennard, and their descendants. Three of the unmarked graves, according to legend, are of slaves. Many of the other unmarked graves are those of transient sawmill workers or their family members who were accorded burial sites during the time of the Four-C Mill.
- Marcus Cicero DuPuy, his wife, and their infant children who died are buried in Antioch Cemetery. Here also is the family of Z.B. John, who was responsible for the rise of Coltharp. In addition, descendants of these families and others rest at Antioch: Steed, Hager, Petty, Barclay, Campbell, Dowdy, Durham, Harkins, Kennedy, Kilgore, Lenderman, Mason, Murray, Poole, Rushing, and Wells.
- When the old church became too dilapidated to use, it was torn down, and funds were solicited for building a tabernacle-type structure, for use on Annual Homecomings and for funerals. A chain-link fence was installed around the cemetery, and an Association was formed to provide for maintaining the gravesites. An Endowment Fund supports the contract for the maintenance of the cemetery. Earlier, all the work had been done by volunteers. A Texas Historical marker was awarded to Antioch Cemetery in 1986.
- ↑ Ainsworth and Rudloff, Page 183
- Ainsworth, Jim Tom, and DeLoyd English Rudloff. Crossing Over Cochino (Best of East Texas Publishers, Division of Bob Bowman & Associates, Ind., 1997) For repository information see World Cat
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)