Location: Barony of West Carbery, southwest coast of County Cork, Ireland
Surnames/tags: DRISCOLL HARRINGTON CADIGAN
Ardagh is a townland in the Civil Parish of Aghadown in County Cork, Ireland. It is located in the Barony of West Carbery, near the townland of Turkhead, and on the mainland near the islands of Heir Island/Inisdriscol, Sherkin Island, and Long Island just off the Irish coast. It is a farming community.
Most of the residents of Ardagh are Roman Catholic and most could speak the Irish language in the 1800s. They attended church at St. Comghall's in Lisheen for Masses and Baptisms, but the girls were married at Kilcoe RC Chapel, the mother church unti the 1900s. Many of the residents were buried in the Lisheen or Kilcoe cemeteries, and a burial register exists from 1947 forward, as posted on the Skibbereen Heritage Centre website.
Surnames of ARDAGH townland
Surnames in Tax Records of Ardagh
Surnames in Tithe Applotment tax records in Ardagh Townland in 1829
These families are all taxed in 1829 for Church of Ireland Tithes even though these families were likely Roman Catholic. 1829 is the Year of Catholic Emancipation, but the tithe taxes continued.
CADIGAN - Patrick Cadigan is taxed and Timothy Cadigan is taxed.in 1829. Dennis Cadigan and Norry Cadigan are not mentioned yet
DRISCOLL - Florence Driscoll is taxed, James Driscoll is taxed and Timothy Driscoll is taxed in 1829.
HARRINGTON - Denis Harrington, Florence Harrington , James Harrington; Peter Harrington and Timothy Harrington were all taxed in Ardagh in 1829. Catherine Harrington not mentioned yet; however she is the only Harrington left in Ardagh by 1853. Michael Harringtonl, Denis Harrington, and John Harrington, are grouped together and taxed in 1829 in Ardaly, and are probably related and Bartholomew Harrington is taxed in 1829. in Ardaly, Ardaly might include Inishbeg island, as there is no separate entry for the island where over 300 people lived before the Great Famine of the late 1840s.
KELTY - Patrick Kelty is taxed in 1829 and later is not on the records for 1840s.
Surnames in 1840s Valuations for Ardagh townland
- CADIGAN - Patrick Cadigan is taxed, Norry Cadigan is taxed, Denis Cadigan takes over from Jeremiah Donovan by 1849 and is taxed.
- DRISCOLL/O'DRISCOLL - Florence Driscoll has a House, Office, Barn, and Cow House taxed in 1849. Timothy Driscoll is crossed out and replaced by Jerry Donovan in 1849.
- DONOVAN - Jeremiah Donovan is crossed out in 1849 from one property but Jerry Donovan takes over another in 1849 and is taxed.
- HARRINGTON - Denis Harrington is crossed out and replaced by his wife Catherine Harrington in 1849. James Harrington is crossed out and his house is vacant at first, but occupied by Patrick Cadigan in 1849. However, James Harrington is taxed once on January 4, 1849 in the Tenure Book and twice in the House book, first on February 21, 1850 and again on August 31, 1850 in the House Book and may have changed houses. Patrick Harrington is taxed in 1848 in the Tenure Book and in 1850 in the House Book.Timothy Harrington is crossed out and his two houses are torn down in 1849, however there were more than one Timothy Harrington and he appears on the Griffith's Valuations in 1853 below. On January 4, 1849, Timothy Harrington , Sr was taxed in the Tenure Book and Timothy Harrington, Jr. was taxed in the Tenure Book and on January 25, 1849, Timothy Harrington was taxed in the House Book twice for two houses.. On February 1850 Timothy Harrington , Sr was taxed in the House Book and Timothy Harrington, Jr. was taxed in the House Book. On August 1850, Timothy Harrington was taxed in the House Book.
This may be a father and son and the father disappears by August 1850, either passed away or retired. Peter Harrington disappears before 1849.
1853 Griffith's Valuations for Ardagh townland and other nearby townlands in Aghadown Civil Parish
- CREMMING - Patrick Cremming is taxed in Ardaly, subleasing from Denis Driscoll.
- DRISCOLL - Anne Driscoll is taxed, Catherine Driscoll (widow of Patrick Driscoll?) is taxed, Catherine Driscoll of Heir Island/Inisdriscol is taxed, subletting from Edward Becher, Daniel Driscoll is taxed, Denis Driscoll is taxed twice in Ardraly and once in Currabeg, Florence Driscoll is taxed in Ardagh and Ardnagrogery, James, John Driscoll is taxed in Big Marsh subleasing from Robert Tighe, and also John Driscoll is taxed in Drisheen (near Creagh Civil Parish), subleasing from James Callaghan, Jeremiah, Margaret, Michael Driscoll is taxed in Ardagh, Patrick and Timothy Driscoll is taxed in Ardagh and in Big Marsh, (See birth of Timothy Driscoll of Ardagh below on August 3, 1823.)
- DONOGHUE - Mary Donoghue is taxed subleasing from Driscoll.
- FITZGERALD - John Fitzgerald is taxed subleasing from Driscoll.
- HARDING - johanna Harding is taxed subleasing from Driscoll.
- HARRINGTON - Catherine Harrington (widow of Denis Harrington) is taxed in Ardagh, and is the only Harrington left in the townland of Ardagh in 1853, Daniel Harrington is taxed three times and might be three people, John Harrington is taxed in Ardaly townland in 1853. Michael Harrington is taxed on Inishbeg Island in 1853, and Timothy Harrington is taxed in Reenmurragha townland in 1853, all in the Civil Parish of Aghadown. - http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=doNameSearch&Submit.x=30&Submit.y=10&Submit=Submit&familyname=Harrington&firstname=First+Name&baronyname=CARBERY%2C+WEST+%28EAST+DIVISION%29&countyname=CORK&unionname=&parishname=AGHADOWN
- HOOLAHAN - Margaret Hoolahan is taxed in Currabeg, subleasing from Denis Driscoll.
- HEGARTY - Anne Hegarty is taxed in Ardraly. William Hegarty is taxed subleasing from Driscoll.
- MCCARTHY - Margaret McCarthy is taxed in Currabeg.
- PYBURN - Richard Pyburn is taxed subleasing from Driscoll.
- SHANAHAN - Daniel Shanahan is taxed in Ardraly subleasing from Denis Driscoll.
Census Records for Ardagh townland, Aghadown Civil Parish
Surnames enumerated on the 1901 Census of Ireland for Ardagh townland, Aghadown Civil Parish
- CADIGAN - Patrick Cadigan, 78 and family
- CADOGAN - Timothy Cadogan, 44, and family
1911 Census of Ireland for Ardagh townland, Aghadown Civil Parish
- CADIGAN - Patrick P. Cadigan and family
- CADOGAN - Patrick C. Cadogan and family
- CORCORAN - young person
- DONOVAN - Michael Donovan and family
- DRISCOLL - Patrick and Ellen Driscoll and family
- LYNCH - young person
- MCCARTHY - Timothy McCarthy and Ellen McCarthy
1926 Census of Ireland for Ardagh townland, Aghadown Civil Parish
- These records are not yet available online. Hopefully we can access them by 2026.
Selected Marriages of Aghadown Civil Parish for Persons who may have connections to the families of Ardagh townland
AGHADOWN ROMAN CATHOLIC PARISH MARRIAGES OF INTEREST - 1822-1834 - Most dates are approximate as records are hard to read.
- BURKE John married Mary Daly of Aghadown about February 9, 1824. Witnesses Thomas and Michael Daly and priest might be John Daly.
- BURKE Peter married Catherine Brien of Aghadown February 13 or March 13 1824 . Witnessesare Derby Brien and John McCarthy. Priest might be John Daly.
- HARRINGTON John married Mary Mahony 1824 Witnesses Jeremiah Mahoney and Lawrence Mahoney.
- BURK Thomas and Catherine Shanahan November 1824. Witnesses are Jacob Daly and Mary Daly.
- HARRINGTON Dionisus (Denis?) married Mary Mahoney on April 16, 1825. Witnesses are Timothy Coghlan and Mary Hogan.
- DONOVAN Cornelius married Driscoll. Witnesses Daniel Donovan and Bridget Hogan.
- DRISCOLL Patrick married Catherine HARRINGTON April? 19, 1827. Witnesses are Denis McCarthy and Denis Neil.
- DRISCOLL John married Nel or Helen in 1831. Witnesses Don Sullivan and Demetrius McCarthy.
- DRISCOLL John married Catherine Mahoney in 1831. Witnesses are Daniel Donovan and Michael Donovan.
- HARRINGTON Michael married Anna Marie Foley??? May 1832 - too dark to read. Witnesses Daniel Foley and Jacob Wholey. This is probably the Michael Harrington of Inishbeg Island off Ardaly townland.
- DRISCOLL Florence married Mary Mahoney 1832. Witnesses are Donato Brien and Catherine Brien.
- DRISCOLL Donatus married Helen Murphy. Witnesses are Joanne or John Cotter and Juliana Murphy.
- BURK Michael married Margaret Hogan in 1832. Witnesses are Patrick Walsh and Bridget Brown.
- DRISCOLL Donatus married Minihane. Witnesses are Jacob Collins and Jeremiah Driscoll.
- HARRINGTON Jeremiah married Marianne Carthy in 1833. Witnesses are Charles Davis and Justin Carthy.
- DRISCOLL Daniel married Johanna Callahane in 1833. Witnesses are John Callahane and Patrick Buckley.
Selected births with Ardagh surnames from 1822 forward in Aghadown RC Parish
- HARRINTON - Mary Harrington born to Denis Harrington and his wife Ellen Shanahan, 1822. Baptismal sponsors Tim ? and Mary Shanahane.
- DRISCOLL - Mary Driscoll to John Driscoll and his wife Mary Keaton?. 1822. Baptismal sponsors are Keaton and Catherine Regan.
- DRISCOLL - Mary Casey to Tim Casey and Bridget Driscoll, 1822 or 1823
- DRISCOLL - Catherine Driscoll to Patrick Driscoll and Honora McCarthy, May 1823, Baptismal sponsors are John Leary and Catherine Reily.
- BURKE - Catherine Burke to John Burke and his wife, Margaret Gogin, 1823
- DRISCOLL - Mary Driscoll to Denis Driscoll and Ellen Driscoll, 1823. Baptismal sponsors are William Gosnell and Mary Driscoll.
- DRISCOLL - Tim Driscoll to Timothy Driscoll and Mary Daly of Ardagh, August 3, 1823. Baptismal sponsors are John Fitzgerald and Catherine Daly.
- DRISCOLL - Ellen Driscoll to Denis Driscoll and Leary, 1824.
- DRISCOLL - Tim Driscoll to john Driscoll and Mary Sullivan, 1823 or 1824. Baptismal sponsors are Peter Sullivan and Catherine Mountain.
- BURKE - Honora to Florence Burke and Johanna Gogin. August 30, 1823. Baptismal sponsors are James Donovan and Catherine Haly? or Daly?
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)