Surnames/tags: Ardkeen Down Ulster
|Main Down Page
|Category for Ardkeen Parish
|Civil Parishes in County Down
Part of the Ireland Project
- This information page for the Civil Parish contains a list of all the townlands in the parish and links to the category for the townland (if it has been created). There also may be notes about the individual townlands.
- This page is maintained by the County Down team
Ardkeen Civil Parish
- Irish or Alternate Name: Ard Caoin.
- Logainm Link: Ardkeen Parish on Logainm.ie
- PlacenamesNI Link: Ardkeen Parish on PlacenamesNI.org
- Barony: Ards Upper
- Province: Ulster
Ardkeen (from Irish Ard Caoin 'Fair/Pleasant Height') is a civil parish in County Down, Northern Ireland. It is situated in the historic barony of Ards Upper. The name also applies to a townland of 461 acres in the parish. Several of the 'townlands' in the parish, more than half, are actually small islands that may or may not have been inhabited at one time. See the details of these below.
Population Centres of Ardkeen Civil Parish
- Note: Population centres for this Parish, where known, are shown here. For a full list see Towns of County Down
Six Road Ends
- Irish or Alternate Name: .
- 4km SE of Bangor. The village takes its name from its situation at a triple road junction [Six Road Ends 1927].
Cemeteries in Ardkeen Civil Parish
Anglican (Church of Ireland)
- Christ Church, Kirkistown.
- St Mary, Kirkistown.
- Mount St Josephs, Ballycran Beg.
- St Patrick, Lisbane.
The Townlands of Ardkeen Civil Parish
- The townlands in Ardkeen Parish (Ard Caoin) are those taken from Ardkeen Parish on Logainm.ie and validated against townlands on Townlands.ie, PlacenamesNI.org where appropriate, Griffiths valuations data and the 1901 and 1911 censuses. A link is provided in the notes for the 1901 and 1911 census. Please note that these may not always work if the townland was not available on the census in question. The census site may also substitute a similar name so be prepared for unexpected results!
- If the townland has a category it will be linked in the table below. If there is no link and you need the category please contact David to get the category created or put in a request for the category to be created. Alternatively, if you feel condifent to do so, see Townland Category Information Boxes below for how to create them yourself.
Townland Irish/Alternate name WikiTree Category Link Notes Ardkeen Ard Caoin 1901 Census, 1911 Census Ballycran Beg Baile Crannaí Beag 1901 Census, 1911 Census Ballycran More Baile Crannaí Mór 1901 Census, 1911 Census Ballygelagh Baile Gaelach 1901 Census, 1911 Census Ballyward Baile Bhaird 1901 Census, 1911 Census Cookstown Baile Chócaire 1901 Census, 1911 Census Dunevly Dún Eichmhílidh 1901 Census, 1911 Census Kirkistown Baile Chirc 1901 Census, 1911 Census Lisbane An Lios Bán 1901 Census, 1911 Census Ratallagh Ráth tSaileach 1901 Census, 1911 Census
Excluded Townland Names
- The entries below appear to all be small islands which are shown on Logainm and mostly not on PlacenamesNI. They are recorded here for reference and can be created as townlands if need be.
Bird Island Logainm Placenames NI Calf Island Logainm Placenames NI Craigaveagh Rock Logainm Placenames NI Drummond Island Logainm Placenames NI Great Minnis's Island Logainm Placenames NI Green Island Logainm Placenames NI Inishanier Island Logainm Placenames NI Inisharoan Island Logainm Placenames NI Little Minnis's Island Logainm Placenames NI Long Island Logainm Placenames NI Lythe Rock Logainm Placenames NI Parton Island Logainm Placenames NI Pherson's Island Logainm Placenames NI Rainey Island Logainm Placenames NI Roe Island Logainm Placenames NI Round Island Logainm Placenames NI Sketrick Island Logainm Placenames NI Trasnagh Island Logainm Placenames NI
- A list of external resources for this parish may be placed here. More general souces for Down should be added to the main Down page.
- Whilst care is taken to ensure links are not made to disreputable, phishing or other sites of doubtful integrity it is your responsibility to ensure that you are not going to such a site by clicking on one of the links which may have been added after this page was created.
Townland Category Information Boxes
- For the full 'How to' on creating Irish location categories please read 'Creating Location Categories for Ireland'
- The pre-formatted line for each townland and the fully formatted CIB header can be seen below this page when in edit mode. Please ensure you have read the 'How to' before doing anything. Briefly, the pre-formatted line in the hidden text is used to replace the line above. The CIB text is pasted into the category which is created by clicking on the red category link.
- Parish format version 3.3. Team links in CIBs now implemented.
- Information shown on this page may have been sourced from one or more of the following sources.
- Logainm.ie The Placenames Database of Ireland created by Fiontar & Scoil na Gaeilge in collaboration with The Placenames Branch (Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht).
- Placenamesni.org a UK Government website managed by the Information Unit of Land & Property Services (LPS) Agency, Department of Finance and Personnel (DFP)
- Griffiths Valuation AskAboutIreland.ie and the Cultural Heritage Project is an initiative of public libraries together with local museums and archives.
- Townlands.ie Irish Townlands derived from OpenStreetMap data under the Open Data Commons Open Database License (ODbL).
- Census of Ireland 1901/1911 and Census fragments and substitutes, 1821-51
- List of towns and villages in the Republic of Ireland and List of towns and villages in Northern Ireland
- General alphabetical index to townlands and towns, parishes and baronies of Ireland Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive