Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally inhabited by the Mi'kmaq, it was called "Bapkoktek"
At the time of the Acadian Expulsion, there was a handful of families in the region. However, research shows that the majority of the Acadian population currently in Argyle were families who had been expulsed from other communities, and came to Argyle in 1766, when they returned from exile.
In 1763, Captain Ranald MacKinnon was granted 2 000 acres in recognition of his military service in the Montgomery Highlanders, including at Quebec. He named the region Argyle after his homeland in Scotland.
Other settlers joined him in the area, and the township was granted in 1771.
A third wave of settlers arrived in 1784 and 85 when the Loyalists arrived from New England.
Argyle is known for beautiful landscapes. There are farms, particularly along the rivers and lakes. Shipbulding was an important industry, and the lumber that supplied them. The fisheries remain an import industry today.
If you visit Argyle, remember to stop by the
- Argyle Township Courthouse and Archives
- Pubnico Acadian Museum and Research Centre
- Nova Scotia Historic Acadian Village in Argyle,