About the Project
The Arland Name Study project serves as a collaborative platform to collect information on the Arland name. The hope is that other researchers like you will join the study to help make it a valuable reference point for other genealogists who are researching or have an interest in the Arland name.
As a One Name Study, this project is not limited to persons who are related biologically. Individual team studies can be used to branch out the research into specific methods and areas of interest, such as geographically (England Arlands), by time period (18th Century Arlands), or by topic (Arland DNA, Arland Occupations, Arland Statistics). These studies may also include a number of family branches which have no immediate link with each other. Some researchers may even be motivated to go beyond the profile identification and research stage to compile fully sourced, single-family histories of some of the families they discover through this name study project.
Arland as a boys' name is of Gaelic derivation, and the meaning of the name Arland is "pledge, oath". Arland is an alternate form of Arlen (Gaelic).
Also see the related surnames and surname variants.
Many English families who had become tired of political and religious strife left Britain for the new colonies in North America. The trip itself offered no relief, and the conditions on the ships were extremely cramped. Many travellers arrived diseased, starving, and destitute, however these immigrants believed the opportunities were worth the risks.
Once in the colonies, many of the families did prosper and, in turn, made significant contributions to the culture and economies of the growing colonies. It is believed a number of American immigrant families bearing the name Arland survive today.
How to Join
To join the Arland Name Study, first start out by browsing our current teams to see if there is a specific study ongoing that fits your interests. If so, feel free to add your name to the Membership list below, post an introduction comment on the specific team page, and then dive right in!
Use this sticker if you are placing it on the profile of a living person. Once you are ready to go, you can also show your project affiliation with the ONS Member Sticker:
Please use this sticker if you wish to add your deceased family tree profiles to the One Name Study:
- Arland settlers in the United States of America. e.g. Ernst Arland, who arrived in New York, NY in 1850.
- Arland migration to Australia
- Notable Arlands
- Invite and encourage all Arland's within WikiTree to join the Name Study Project
- Encourage Arland's to communicate what goals and tasks they would like to undertake
- Encourage direct lineage male Arland's to take a dna test and post the results (I like FTDNA)
- Once results are posted upload gedcoms and enter GEDmatch.
- Check Arland families on this site for additions, deletions and corrections.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Patricia Gray and One Name Studies WikiTree. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)