Location: Ashford-in-the-Water, Derbyshire
Sheepwash Bridge - a packhorse bridge where sheep were washed in the Spring
Holy Trinity Church containing 'Maiden's Garlands'
Holy Trinity Church
Holy Trinity Church further information
Ashford Black Marble - a black limestone used ornamentally.
Ashford Black Marble
Flower Festival & Well dressings (6) held around Trinity Sunday
Bull's Head Inn Bulls Head Inn
Thornbridge Hall - A Jacobean Country House. Thornbridge was the seat of the Longsdon family from the 12th century until the late 18th century. In 1790 John Morewood, a linen merchant, bought the estate for £10,000, and enlarged the earlier house. In 1859 Frederick Craven rebuilt the house entirely in Jacobean style, but the house as we see it today is the work of a Sheffield lawyer named George Marples. In 1896 Marples enlarged the house, and laid out the gardens. He also built estate cottages, lodges, and even a private railway station. In 1929 Charles Boot bought the estate. Boot's company earned the contract to demolish the stately home of Clumber Park after that house was destroyed in a fire in 1938. Boot rescued a large number of statues, fountains, and building facades from Clumber and installed them at Thornbridge Hall. The house was briefly used as a teacher training college by Sheffield City Council, but is now in private ownership and used as a family home and event centre.
The Rookery - Georgian house. Here the 6th Duke of Devonshire installed his mistress Elizabeth Warwick in 1829, and it became the first home of the present Duke & Duchess of Devonshire after their marriage in 1941. Rookery photo
Fin Cop is a hill and an associated Iron Age hill fort in Monsal Dale, close to Ashford in the Water