Arrived from Cromarty, Scotland, the barque Asia, 536 tons. Departed Cromarty 17th Sept 1838., and Plymouth 22 January 1839. Captain T.R. Covey. 272 government emigrants. Surgeon Superintendent Dr. Donald McDonald. Charles Bamber assistant surgeon.
Eight deaths on board the Asia during the passage from Cromarty to Plymouth and 8 births from Plymouth to Sydney. The emigrants of the Asia occupied the 'Vigo' hulk while the Asia was undergoing repairs at Plymouth. Return of the 11 Deaths which occurred on the Asia:
- Elizabeth McIntosh age 1
- Peter Phemister age 2
- John McDonald age 2
- James Dow age 19 months
- Catherine Matthewson age 3
- Charles Gallow age 19 months
- Mary Kennedy age 2
- Duncan Kennedy age 4
- Mary Kenned age 6 months
- Charles Smith age 10 drowned at Devenport
- NSW State Archives & Records, Assisted Immigrants (digital) Shipping Lists: Asia 1839
- Free Settler or Felon database: Asia 1839
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)