Location: Auchinleck, Ayrshire, Scotland
Surnames/tags: Murdoch One_Place_Study
This is to be a partial study of the Parish of Auchinleck in Ayrshire, Scotland. The Primary surname profiles considered will be MURDOCHs and their in-law families.
The word "Auchinleck" is derived from two Celtic words meaning The field of the flagstones
The First Statistical Account (1791) notes a decline in the population of Auchinleck, due in part to the Muirkirk Iron & Coal Tar Works and more especially to the cotton mill in Catrine which had attracted inhabitants from this parish.
The parish is also described as bare, unproductive, bleak moss and moor land, though productive in coal.
Population: in 1755 = 887 ; in 1791 = 775 and in 1831 = 1662
Individual Census pages will be transcribed as and when they are purchased in the hope they will build up into census regions. They will be complemented with other transcribed census records.
- 1841 Census: Not available (lost at sea London-Edinburgh)
- 1851 Census: In progress
- 1861 Census: In progress
Life Event Records
Old Parochial Registers (OPRs) for Births/Baptisms, Marriages and Deaths/Burials:
- The Death/burial records (approx. 329 records) in the OPR for this parish cover the years:-
- OPR 577/1 Vol.1 27 Jan 1753 to 24 Dec 1757 and 3 Feb 1780 to 31 Dec 1788
- OPR 577/2 Vol.2 20 Aug 1828 to 24 Aug 1833 (mort cloth records)
Monumental Inscriptions - Auchinleck Churchyard
- See Auchinleck Kirk Graveyard MI's - A transcribed collection of all (primarily Murdoch Surname related) monumental inscriptions on any gravestones which were erected before the year 1919.
- Note: These transcribed records of life events will be found eventually on the individual's profiles, linked by the categories Auchinleck, Ayrshire and Auchinleck, Ayrshire One Place Study.
- See Will Documents for transcriptions of various Will related documents for specific Murdoch individuals. viz:
- Robert Murdoch (unknown-1833 Glasgow) wo xxxxx Aitken
- William Murdoch (c1760's - 18xx Auchinleck) wo Janet Johnstone
- George Murdoch (c1760's - 1836 wo Anne Jamieson
- William Murdoch of Skerrintoun Mill (??? - c1745 Old Cumnock) wo xxxx King
Includes all other records not covered above eg: Newspaper articles.
- April 1882 issue of the Kilmarnock Journal - See The Murdochs - (for a transcription of the newspaper article)
This area (broken into Family Name groups) will be used to collect information on family groups from various sources listed above. These Potential family groups will then be investigated and further reliable sources found before creating wiki tree people profiles for them.
- JAMIESON, Agnes, Buried 30 Oct 1829. (OPR-Auchinleck Burials Vol.2)
See Murdoch Families