This page is managed by the Australia Project. It outlines information regarding the 'Born in the Colony' free-space project and team. The Team Leader is Veronica Williams.
See also: Project: Australia.
When Australia was initially colonised in 1788, convicts and settlers came from many lands, some came free, others came against their will. Many went on to settle and prosper, having families in their new country.
The 'Born in the Colony' project has been set up to recognise the progeny of the early inhabitants of Colonial Australia, up to the time of Federation.
They became the '1st generation' Australian ancestors for many of us.
Goal and Activities
The goal of the project is to categorise all those born in the six Australian Colonies that existed, prior to Federation.
Here are some of the tasks that I think need to be done. I'll be working on them and could use your help.
- Identify relevant categories, free space and project pages relevant to Colonial Australia. See works in progress.
- Create categories for all six Colonies that existed in Australia prior to Federation.
- Set up separate pages with tables listing all the colonies and links to key resources.
- Create profiles for all those 'Born in the Colony' and their convict or immigrant parents.
- Add profile stickers to relevant profiles. See template
- Connect up each of the families to the 'One World WikiTree'.
- Improve all existing profiles - refer Category: Australia, Profile Improvement - Colonial Australia
- All relevant Colony State and Territory (CST) Teams - help implement new initiatives.
- We are keen for all members to add their specific areas of interest to the specific interest area table below. If you are a new member please leave a comment or add your name to the list below and indicate your area of interest. You will then be placed in the Focus area table (or you can add yourself).
- Members are removed from this list once they are added to the table.
- If you need help or have questions, please contact Veronica.
Members - awaiting info on specific interests (see table below):
Team Members on or after 16 Dec 2020. New members after this date please add your details below.
Please note - Topic teams will overlap the Colony, State and Territory teams but this team will help develop the overall structure required for ‘Born in the Colony’ profiles of the Colonial period.
Members Specific Interests
|Policy and Procedure |
members working with others to develop and promote changes to policy and standards for Born in the Colony profiles, including documentation of project guidelines
|Categories and Locations |
members focussing on the development and implementation of appropriate category structures and location fields relevant to Pre Federation 1788-1900 profiles (including those Born in the Colony)
members focus is on connecting Born in the Colony profiles to our main Global Family Tree
|Data Doctors |
members working together to use tools that seek out and correct errors on Born in the Colony profiles
|Veronica Williams (DNA errors)|Jason Rennie|
focus on adding sources to Unsourced Born in the Colony profiles
|Lindsay Nash|Jason Rennie|
|All Rounders |
members who have an interest in helping to improve Born in the Colony profiles when needed (eg adding stickers or other new initiatives), including their own families
|Megan Tilley|Sandra Williamson|Nan Hewitt| Neil Croll|Shoshanah Luckie|Elizabeth W|Scott Davis|Elayine (McCallum) Julian|
|Colony of New South Wales |
members who have an interest in The Colony_of_New_South_Wales
|David Urquhart|Danny Stapleton|Lindsay Nash|Kaitlyn Emmett (also interested in Norfolk Island)|Elsie Gorman also Australia, Gorman Name Study|Jason Rennie|
|Colony of Van Diemen's Land |
members who have an interest in Van Diemen's Land (1825-1856)
|John Andrewartha|Neil Croll|
|Swan River Colony |
members who have an interest in The Swan River Colony
|Colony of Queensland |
members who have an interest in The Colony_of_Queensland
|Colony of South Australia |
members who have an interest in The Colony of South Australia
|Joanne Egan|Rhys Fogarty|Danny Stapleton|Alan Salt|
|Colony of Victoria |
members who have an interest in The Colony of Victoria
|Leslie Cooper|Jason Rennie|
|Colony of Western Australia |
members who have an interest in The Colony of Western Australia
|Colony of Tasmania |
members who have an interest in Colony of Tasmania
|John Andrewartha|Neil Croll|
- The Born in the Colony Project Guidelines help Wikitreers to understand any preferred actions to be taken on profiles that fall under this topic. This includes, project boxes, stickers and categories.
- Australia Project - Project Management - This category page should help you find other relevant project material.
How to get involved
Will you join me? Please post a comment on this page, or add your name to this list with the task you would like to do. Interested in any particular colony? Feel free to take that on. Our Colony, State and Territory teams will also help with this project.
- Suggestions for Australian Born in the Colony Stickers Oct 13, 2021.