This project is a free-space project. The Team Leader is Veronica Williams.
See also: Project: Australia.
Australia was initially established as a penal colony in 1788, some mariners decided to stay and make Australia their home. Soon afterwards others 'came free' to the colony, these settlers came from many lands. The assisted and bounty immigrants had help with their passage, others paid their own way.
The 'Free Settlers' project has been set up to recognise those early inhabitants of Colonial Australia, up to the time of Federation, who emigrated to Australia looking for a new life.
It is not intended to include assisted or bounty immigrants.
Goal and Activities
The goal of the project is to categorise the early pioneers in the six Australian Colonies that existed, prior to Federation.
Here are some of the tasks that I think need to be done. I'll be working on them and could use your help.
- Identify relevant categories, free space and project pages relevant to Colonial Australia. See works in progress.
- Create categories for all six Colonies that existed in Australia prior to Federation.
- Set up separate pages with tables listing all the colonies and links to key resources.
- Create profiles for all those 'Born in the Colony' and their convict or immigrant parents.
- Add profile stickers to relevant profiles. See TBA template.
- Connect up each of the families to the one world WikiTree.
- Kangaroo Island Early Settlers Kangaroo Island was the first place of settlement for the new British Colony of South Australia.
- Veronica Williams - identify all relevant existing categories, free space and project pages relevant for Colonial Australia. Work with others to set up the appropriate category structure for Colonial Australia.
- David Urquhart-I have been making a list on my space pages of people who could be added here when we are set up. Have family interests in Queensland and New South Wales.
- Danny Stapleton
- Sharryn Nankervis
- Megan Tilley
- John Andrewartha
- Janine Kenny
- Greg Hayes
- Steve Thomas Main interest is the first 30 years of European settlement of South Australia (1836-1866)
- Allen Brierley
- Simone Collins
- Chris Wright
- Lisa Della Casa Alberighi
- Lynda Collier
- Colony, State and Territory Teams.
Please note - Once we have finished the new check in process we will start to talk about how we proceed for Free Settlers. The topic teams will overlap the Colony, State and Territory teams but this team will help develop the overall structure required for Free Settlers in the Colonial period.
Currently working on Colonial Australia locations. Once complete project guidelines will be developed.
- Draft Colonial Australia location guidelines can be found here.
- Have you had your DNA tested? Make sure you consider joining our Wikitree DNA project.
- If you took a test at FTDNA and you have a DIRECT ancestor that was either an Australian Convict or an early Australian Settler you might like to join their Australian Convicts Project or the Australian Settlers Project.
How to get involved
Will you join us? Please post a comment on this page, or add your name to this list with the task you would like to do. Interested in any particular colony? Feel free to take that on.