This tiny village located in Lanark County has an interesting history. It grew up around the 100 acre land grant held by Seargeant John Balderson, of England. He was the first to settle in the area in 1816. The village was originally called Balderson Corners.
The first churches built in the village were the Anglican and Presbyterian churches, in the early 1830s.
- The Presbyterian Church (now called Balderson United Church) was originally built of log, about 52 feet by 26 ft., in 1838. This was replaced by the current stone church built in the early 1900s by local farmers. The new church's first service was held in 1904. The church Manse is located across the road from the church and today, is a private residence.
- The English Church (now St. John's Anglican Church) was built about the same time as the Presbyterian Church on the 8th Concession of Drummond Township. In 1881, property was purchased along the Perth-Lanark Road and a new church was built at that location. Its first service was held in 1883.
The first school in the area was a log building and served the children in the area until 1865 when the Orange Hall (built in 1859) was converted into a school and continued to serve the residents of the area until 1968. It is now a private residence. Today, there is no local school and students are transported by bus to either the village of Lanark, or the town of Perth.
Post Offices, Stores and Factories
Balderson was located on a busy travelway for early settlers and in the early 1850s had two hotels.
- Angus McDonald's Hotel was also the site of the first post office for the village, which opened in 1858. When the hotel closed, it was converted to a general store.
- Earl Myers was the last post master in Balderson, when the post office closed in 1989.
- The Balderson Telephone Company was established in 1910 and by 1915 had a total of 114 subscribers. The company was bought out by Bell Canada in 1977.
- Balderson Cheese Company was established in 1881 as a cooperative. In 1892, it was one of twelve cheese factories involved in the creation of the Mammoth Cheese that was sent to the 1893 Chicago World's Fair. The original factory burnt in 1929, but was rebuilt. The factory remained in operation until 1987 and the factory was closed in 1993. This building is still in use today as a retail location for Balderson Cheese products, as well as other local businesses.