upload image

Balmoral Cemetery, Belfast, Antrim

Privacy Level: Open (White)

Location: Stockman’s Lane, Belfastmap
Surname/tag: Cemeteries
Profile manager: J Alexander private message [send private message]
This page has been accessed 215 times.

This page is part of the Antrim Cemeteries Team.

See the:

Cemetery name: Balmoral Cemetery. Formerly known as Belfast Cemetery, Malone.

Address: Stockman’s Lane Belfast BT9 7JA

GPS Coordinates: 54.569300, -5.968100

Parking:

Information:

The cemetery is open by appointment only. Call Belfast City Council on 028 9027 0296 to arrange an appointment.

Balmoral Cemetery opened in 1855 after Reverend Henry Cooke and Reverend Joseph Mackenzie of Malone were refused permission to carry out a ‘proper’ Presbyterian funeral in another churchyard. The pair decided to set up their own burial ground on land belonging to Reverend Mackenzie, beside Stockman’s Lane.

The new cemetery was controlled by a board of trustees which included three Presbyterian ministers. Burials were mostly of subscribing and non-subscribing Presbyterians but the graveyard was also used by other denominations.

By the 1920s, the site had fallen into disrepair and, in 1953, it was taken over by Belfast Corporation (now the council).[1]

Sources

  1. http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/community/cemeteries/balmoralcemetery.aspx




Collaboration
  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)


Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.