Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, Conewago Township, Pennsylvania One Place Study

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: [unknown] [unknown]
Location: Conewago Township, Adams, Pennsylvania, United Statesmap
Surnames/tags: One_Place_Studies Pennsylvania United_States
This page has been accessed 45 times.


Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, Conewago Township, Pennsylvania One Place Study

This profile is part of the Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, Conewago Township, Pennsylvania One Place Study.
{{One Place Study|place=Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, Conewago Township, Pennsylvania|category=Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, Conewago Township, Pennsylvania One Place Study}}


The Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus is a Roman Catholic church in Conewago Township, Adams County, Pennsylvania.

It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.


Continent: North America
Country: United States
State/Province: Pennsylvania
County: Adams
GPS Coordinates: 39.818889, -77.038056


The Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus was originally known as Conewago Chapel.

It traces its roots back to 1730. There was a conflict in land grants when it was first established. William Penn and Lord Baltimore both thought it was part of their lands. The first settlers were Catholics from Maryland and Germany. The Maryland settlers thought it was part of Maryland and the Germans thought it was part of Pennsylvania. This dispute was settled with the establishment of the Mason Dixon Line. The church was established by Jesuit priests.

The church has served under various organizations throughout it's history. There are coats of arms displayed in the church commemorating that history.

The first church was as log cabin in 1751. By 1781, the population in the area supported the building of a permanent building that is part of the current structure. It was the first Catholic Church in America build of stone. The Steeple was added in the 1880s in commemoration of the centennial of the church.

In 1851, the church building was expanded to the footprint that still stands today. When the church was expanded, the Jesuits had a Bavarian artist paint a depiction of the last supper directly on the masonry wall above the high altar. Within 20 years water leakage had damaged this art beyond repair. That mural was covered in the late 1800s by a painting depicting a vision of Jesus and the Sacred Heart appearing to a Jesuit nun and priest. Just recently, in 2021, the picture on the wall [1]was uncovered when the painting was removed for restoration. [2]

The stained glass windows and the art in the church tell the Christian story. They were used to teach the children about their religion. The art is still used today in the sermons preached every week. Video of in honor of 150th anniversary [3]

German People

The Church was an important part of the German immigrants' lives in the area in the late 1800s.

Peter Joseph Funk (abt.1844-1912) was a German immigrant who had twelve children in the area. He is buried in the cemetery there along with his wife, Sarah (Lawrence) Funk (1848-1893) and some of his children. His children were christened there and at least two were married there.
  1. Mary Salome( Funk) Eline (1870-1970) Christened, married and buried
  2. Lewis Henry Funk (abt.1871-1942) Buried
  3. Francis Jacob Funk (1872-1960) Christened, married and buried
  4. Christina Martina Funk (abt.1875-1940) Christened, became a Nun named Sister M Charissima
  5. Rosa Funk (abt.1877-) Christened and buried
  6. Felix Charles Funk (1880-1962) Christened
  7. Luisa Clara Funk (1882-1949) Christened
  8. Sarah Jane Funk (1886-1890) Christened and buried, only lived 3 years.
John Heidler, also a German immigrant, and his family were buried and/or baptized there.
  1. Johannes "John" Heidler Buried
  2. Judith (Strausbaugh) Heidler Buried
  3. Catharine Heidler Christened,
  4. John Heidler Christened
  5. Mary Heidler Christened
  6. Margaret Heidler Christened
  7. Elizabeth Heidler Christened
  8. Magdalena Heidler Christened
  9. Barbara Heidler Christened
Some Germans from Maryland also went to this church.
Albert Schuchart (1855-1911) Married
An earlier Christening was
Margaret (Sourbier) Small (1816-abt.1897)



The Cemetery at this church dates back to colonial times. The pastor reports many people come to do genealogical work there.



  3. Video of in honor of 150th anniversary

  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Sandy Patak, Nancy Wilson, and One Place Studies Project WikiTree. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.