upload image

Beaver Bog Cemetery, New Fairfield, Connecticut

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: [unknown] [unknown]
Location: New Fairfield, Connecticutmap
Surname/tag: Cemeteries
This page has been accessed 9 times.
The Beaver Bog Cemetery which is located at the intersection of Bigelow Road, Beaver Bog Road and Route 37 was originally part of of the Methodist Church. The present church was built in 1835 and was called the Methodist Episcopal Church. The building was built by Jesse and Isaac Scudder, Archibald Campbell, Hezekiah Wildman and Amos Stevens.
Several of the early families buried at this cemetery belonged to the church. The cemetery separated from the church in 1935 since most of the original church members were then deceased. At this time it became the Beaver Bog Cemetery. An association was formed in later years to cover the maintenance.
The oldest legible stone in the Beaver Bog Cemetery is that of Zebulon Platt who died in 1809. This burial ground was recorded in 1915 and again in 1934. After comparing those records with the actual tombstones left in 1982 there are 24 stones missing, destroyed or totally illegible. In 1908 a monument was erected here to honor the Revolutionary War soldiers buried at Beaver Bog.

From New Fairfield Library.org:

This is an "orphaned" profile — there's no Profile Manager to watch over it. Please adopt this profile.

  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.