About the Project
The Beismer Name Study project serves as a collaborative platform to collect information on the Beismer name. The hope is that other researchers like you will join the study to help make it a valuable reference point for other genealogists who are researching or have an interest in the Beismer name.
As a One Name Study, this project is not limited to persons who are related biologically. Individual studies can be used to branch out the research into specific methods and areas of interest, such as geographically (England Beismer's), by time period (18th Century Beismer's), or by topic (Beismer DNA, Beismer Occupations, Beismer Statistics). These studies may also include a number of family branches which have no immediate link with each other. Some researchers may even be motivated to go beyond the profile identification and research stage to compile fully sourced, single-family histories of some of the families they discover through this name study project. The Coordinator began this project because of hitting a brick wall on this family branch.
However, the purpose of the one-name study is broader than that: The study has a global scope; it includes research within countries or time periods where sources of genealogical data are readily available; and it will research and store all data in WikiTree as the core genealogical dataset.
Of course, you can always work at your own pace and you're alwyas free to do your own research.
Also see the related surnames and surname variants.
How to Join
Project participants need to be members of WikiTree. It's free. If you are not yet a WikiTree member, see Help: How to Use WikiTree to get started.
To join the Beismer Name Study, first start out by browsing our current research pages to see if there is a specific study ongoing that fits your interests. If so, feel free to add your name to the Membership list below, post an introduction comment on the specific team page, and then dive right in!
It is expected that you will sign and follow the Honor Code to ensure that our work is accurate.
Send a private message to the name study's coordinator or post a comment on the page to let them know you wish to join the study. Discuss with them your interests and how you can help.
Add ONE_NAME_STUDIES to your list of followed tags. That way you'll see all our discussions in G2G!
Once you are ready to go, you can also show your project affiliation by adding the ONS Member Sticker text below this image to your profile, in the Biography section, and, once saved, this sticker will appear on your profile:
Here are some of the current research pages included in the study. I'll be working on them, and could use your help!
- Study_Size_Estimate - here you can see all the variant spellings included in the study and the estimated population of each.
- Beismer Name Notes
- Profiles included in the Study appear on the Study's Category Page
- Project Instructions
- Progress Report
Tasks and Project Goals
There are multiple goals for this study:
- to identify and record all Beismers, according to surname variant;
- to record the basic vital and family information for each individual;
- to create as complete a time line for each individual;
- to compile a data set of all individuals found which can be organized, charted and displayed.
- to complete a tree branch for each individual.
Questions to answer:
- When and from where did the Beismers come to North America?
- What was the original surname?
Most of this will be accessible here on WikiTree. Much will be repeated at Guild of One-Name Studies where the study is also registered. All of the information will also be contained in databases of the coordinator; the statistics in spreadsheets. In addition, a blog has be started to share information on the progress: The Beismer One-Name Study.
Here are some of the tasks that we think need to be done. We could use your help.
- Establish the parameters of the project. At this point, searching for and identifying individuals with the variants below will begin and any without a profile in WikiTree will be added. Variant spellings will be added as found.
- Data Collection: I would recommend that you select a variant of the surname and begin searching that variant. Be sure to cite your sources. You can create your own free-space page to keep your research. It would be helpful to add a link to that to the Research pages. If you're aware of another variant, please create a profile for someone fitting that variant and add the variant surname to the list. If you need help with that, please contact the coordinator. See the Instructions (coming soon) page if working on this. The list of WikiTree profiles included in this study can be found at the Category page for the project.
- Profile cleanup - this will sometimes be part of data collection but many of the profiles already here on WikiTree have already been added to the study. So, if you enjoy cleaning up profiles, adding sources, etc., you can visit the Category page and go through the profiles there to see what needs to be cleaned up.
- Identify areas in the United States and elsewhere where these variant names can be found. If you are interested in researching in a particular region, please note that after your name in the Members list.
- If there are any additional tasks you can think of you can add them here.
- Maintain a list of research resources for the project.
- Lorraine O'Dell Coordinator - Trying to sort out all the variant spellings of this matrilineal surname and find origins.
Related Surnames and Surname Variants
See our Resources Page.
I will be searching for online availability of an article I have on one Beismer family.
- Do you have the following surnames in your family tree? Beismer ONS Feb 27, 2023.
- Are you a Beesimer, Beismer, Beasmer, Biesemeier Jul 14, 2021.
- Beismer Name Study Needs participants Jun 10, 2021.
- Beismer Name Study May 20, 2021.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: One Name Studies WikiTree and Lorraine O'Dell. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)