Location: Bertie, North Carolina, United States
Surnames/tags: slavery black_heritage
The purpose of this page is to list and link profiles for people with wills on images 574-788 in FamilySearch's records. These images correspond to pages 1-215 (table of contents starts on page 556). These records are also available on Ancestry.com. The records are indexed and searchable by name there, but are not searchable on FamilySearch.
This space page is primarily for US Black Heritage Pathfinders so they can learn about the Heritage Exchange process of creating slave owners and enslaved ancestors. But anyone may contribute if they wish, using the project guidelines. See the Heritage Exchange Portal for more information.
- Perhaps about 40% of these wills have slaves listed within them. This is a rough estimate.
- Some of these people may already have profiles on Wikitree, so make sure to check for possible duplicates before creating a new profile
- Names which have more than one page are more likely to have slaves listed
- Page numbers are copied from the table of contents, so they do not correspond to the image number on FamilySearch or Ancestry. Just start at FamilySearch image __, which is page 1 in the handwritten book.
William D Askew p26
Garrison Askew p31-32
George O. Askew 113-114
Harriet B. Askew p162
Mary Ashburn p213-214
Sarah Barnes p6
Thomas Bond p6-7
Ryan Belch p15
Ryan Britton p18-19
Joshua Brown p30
John P Britton p32-33
James L Bryan p39-43
John Britton p44
Elijah Bunch p56-57
Nancy L Boykin p98
William S Bryan p108
Jeremiah Bunch p127-128
Margaret S Britton p165
Stephen Bazemore 192-193
Starkey Bryan p203
- FamilySearch Catalog Record: Bertie County wills, 1761-1942 index. Film/Digital Notes: 1761-1961. Wills, v. G-H 1816-1868 Link to cover page of scans for 1854-1868
- Wills, Vol G-H, 1816-1868. Ancestry.com. North Carolina, U.S., Wills and Probate Records, 1665-1998 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2015.
Original data:North Carolina County, District and Probate Courts.Link to cover page
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)