upload image

Bishop's Cove, Newfoundland

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: 1780 [unknown]
Location: Present day Bishop's Cove, Newfoundlandmap
Profile manager: Brad Foley private message [send private message]
This page has been accessed 464 times.


This article is a stub. Anything you can add to it is appreciated.

Contents

History

Originally called Bread and Cheese Cove, it was renamed Bishop's Cove after the Rev. John Inglis, an Anglican bishop who toured Newfoundland in 1827 after it became part of his diocese[1].

It's unclear (from online sources) when the name change was, but the last mention of Bread and Cheese Cove was in a will, dated 1901[2].

Early Families

Early family names in the area include "Smith", "Barrett" and several variations of "Menchions", with possible claims to the land going back as early as 1625.

Resources

What links to this page.

Sources

  1. Wikipedia article for Bishop's Cove, Newfoundland. Accessed 2018.
  2. Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site. A Collection of Newfoundland Wills. Mary Ann Williams, probate year 1901. Sheila Tiberio, Judy Benson & Ivy F. Benoit, 2013. Accessed 2018.




Collaboration
  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.