upload image

Blackstock Plantation

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: [unknown] [unknown]
Location: Cross Anchor, Union County, South Carolinamap
Surname/tag: Blackstock
This page has been accessed 100 times.

William Blackstock Plantation – Cross Anchor – Union County

Basic Information: [1]

Location – Tyger River, Union County
Original plantation lands were located west of Union off SC 49 in the vicinity of Blackstock Road, Battlefield Road, and Monument Road.
Origin of name – Unknown
Current status – Bike trails and camping sites have been developed and are open to the public.

Timeline

1766 – Earliest known date of existence. 150 acres on the south side of the Tyger River granted to John Irvin on September 26, 1766.
1770 – Irvin conveyed the property to William Blackstock on August 8.
? – House built
1780 – A great Revolutionary War battle, the Battle of Blackstocks Plantation, was fought here on November 20. General Sumter defeated General Tarlton.
1974 – Canal Wood Corporation was owner of record.

Land

Number of acres – 150 in 1766
Primary crop – Tobacco
William Blackstock is buried on the land.

Owners

John Irvin (1766-1770)
William Blackstock, Sr (1770-1798)
Canal Wood Corporation (1974)
*It should be noted that in addition to raising tobacco on the plantation, William Berry Blackstock was also an Indian Trader on the plantation.

:::*Part of the plantation is now being operated as a South Carolina State Park.



This is an "orphaned" profile — there's no Profile Manager to watch over it. Please adopt this profile.


Collaboration
  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)


Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.