Surnames/tags: Blaisdell Blasdell Bleasdale
The Blaisdell Category List is a companion to this page.
View the profiles in each Blaisdell Name Study Category
This is a One Name Study to collect together in one place everything about the Blaisdell surname and the variants of that name. The hope is that other researchers like you will join our study to help make it a valuable reference point for people studying lines that cross or intersect. Please contact the project leader, add categories to your profiles, add your questions to the bulletin board, add details of your name research, etc.
Blaisdell Meaning and Origin
The Blaisdell/Blasdell family name is an English surname originating from (Cumbria and Lancashire) a place in the Lake District named Blaisdell or "Bleasdale". It derives from the Old Norse by-name Blesi meaning ‘blaze’, or ‘white spot’; also, the same word used to describe a white spot on a hillside, along with the Old Norse word "dalr" denoting a ‘valley’. Thus, it is an ancient locational surname of Old Scandinavian origin. The Blaisdell surname is the world's 92,482nd most common surname.
The Blaisdell Family National Association, (founded in 1935), acknowledges the following 38 variants spellings of the Blaisdell surname:
The place name is recorded in the Lancashire Close Rolls of 1228 as "Blesedale", and means "the bare spot on the hillside, in this case a cleared space, coupled with the Old Norse "dalr"
Worldwide Surname Distribution
These statistics are generated from a global sample of 4 billion people. See Forebears Web Site for more details.
- View the Blaisdell worldwide surname distribution map. This spelling of surname is the 92,482nd most common surname in the world.
- View the Blasdell worldwide surname distribution map. This spelling of the surname is the 482,941st most common surname in the world.
- View the Blasdel worldwide surname distribution map. This spelling of the surname is the 422,040th most common surname in the world.
- View the Blazdell worldwide distribution map. This spelling of the surname is the 3,706,985th most common surname in the world.
- View the Blaisdal worldwide distribution map. This spelling of the surname may become extinct as the Forebears website counts on 3 instances of this surname worldwide.
- View the Blasdale worldwide distribution map. This spelling of the surname is the 1,094,957th most common surname in the World.
- View the Bleasdale worldwide distribution map. This spelling of surname is the 188,586th most common surname in the world.
- View the Blosdell worldwide distribution map. This spelling of the surname is considered extinct.
How to Join
If you'd like to contribute, simply enter your name below with what you're working on or contact the administrator, Barry Sweetman and request to be added.
- Barry Sweetman; working on Blasdell family from Canada and Michigan, New England, and England.
- Willliam Hutchinson. I'm working on the family of Ebenezer Blaisdell and his wife Sarah Colby specifically on their children Thomas and Ebenezer Jr.
- Ralph Bleasdale, settler of Salisbury, Massachusetts (1635), member of the committee to draft the declaration for the new provincial government of the Colony of New Hampshire
- Alfred Blaisdell, politician from North Dakota
- Daniel Blaisdell, politician from New Hampshire
- Frances Blaisdell, musician from New Jersey
- James A. Blaisdell, founder of the Claremont Colleges
- John Blaisdell Corliss, politician from Michigan
- Kealii Blaisdell, Kanaka Maoli activist and notable Hawaiian songwriter
- Mike Blaisdell, Canadian ice hockey player
- Neal Blaisdell, mayor of Honolulu
- Neal S. Blaisdell Center, multi-purpose center in Honolulu named after the mayor
- Paul Blaisdell, American artist and special effects creator
- Richard Kekuni Blaisdell, professor of medicine in Honolulu
- Tex Blaisdell, American comics creator
- William Blaisdell, American actor
List courtesy of Wikipedia
- The Dictionary of American Family Names © 2006, Patrick Hanks. Name Origin Research, © 2014.
- Blaisdell Papers,
- Blaisdell Family National Association
- Blaisdell Family National Association on Facebook
- Volunteers needed for the Blaisdell Name Study! Jul 23, 2020.
- Got Blaisdell/Blasdell in your tree? Then join the Blaisdell Name Study! Apr 29, 2019.
- Blasdell Name Study now the Blaisdell Name Study Sep 7, 2018.
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Barry Sweetman and One Name Studies WikiTree. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)