no image

Blechynden Story 121 - History Tree

Privacy Level: Public (Green)
Date: 1829 [unknown]
Location: Western Australiamap
Surnames/tags: Blechynden Swan_River_Colony 63rd_Regiment
This page has been accessed 84 times.

History

Section 1 - Page xviii
The Blechynden Story
EARLY BURIALS IN THE SWAN RIVER COLONY:
Early Burials in the Swan River Colony

East Perth Cemeteries was the first cemetery established for the Swan River Colony in 1829 in East Perth, Western Australia. It is estimated that as many as 10,000 people were buried there between 1829 and 1919 in seven independently administered denominations or sections which is why the place is known as East Perth Cemeteries. Only around 800 gravesites have been identified. A large section of the original site has since been built over, leaving about 5 hectares (12.5 acres) remaining. The site, which is a short distance from Gloucester Park and the WACA Ground, is now bounded by Plain Street, East Perth, Wittenoom Street, Bronte Street and Waterloo Crescent.

The cemetery site was surveyed by John Septimus Roe on 24 December 1829 soon after the central portions of the Perth townsite had been surveyed. The area was originally known as Cemetery Hill and was established in 1830. The first burial was of Private John Mitchell from the 63rd regiment. Mitchell died on 6 January 1830

The Trustees of the Church of England were granted Perth Town Lot R1 as a general cemetery in 1842. The cemetery was consecrated in 1848, and over the following decades sections of this were granted to various other denominations and ethnic groups with each cemetery being owned and controlled separately.
The subsequent grants were: Roman Catholic (1848); "Wesleyanism" (i.e. Methodist; 1854); Congregational (1854); "Hebrew" (i.e. Jewish 1867); Presbyterian (1881); and Chinese (1888). Each of the grants were administered independently, with the exception of the Chinese section.

In 1899, Karrakatta Cemetery became the main burial ground in close proximity to Perth, and from July that year burials officially ceased at East Perth, except where special applications were made to use family graves. The cemetery was used intermittently from then until the last burial in 1919.

Ship Arrival at Swan River Colony
Gilmore 1829
Hooghly, 1830
Rockingham, 1830
  • CLARENCE (City of Cockburn)

- Clarence Burial Ground Location: South of Fremantle (near Woodman Point) - Memorial erected John Graham Reserve THE CLARENCE SETTLEMENT 495 members of Thomas Peel’s failed venture, arrived aboard three ships, Gilmore, Hooghly, and Rockingham between Dec. 1829 and May 1830. They set up makeshift camps in primitive conditions at Clarence. In the first year some 40 settlers died of scurvy, dysentery, other ailments and 6 from childbirth. The majority of the deceased were buried in the vicinity and a number later re-interred in the old Alma Street, Cemetery, Fremantle. Erected on Foundation Day, 1 June 2002, Plaque between the two jetties, near Woodman’s Point By the Royal Western Australian Historical Society (Inc.) With contributions from The City of Cockburn. Department of Conservation and Land Management and midland Monumental Works.

Originally known as Cemetery Hill, it was established in 1830 and is located on Bronte Street, a short distance walk from Gloucester Park and the WACA Ground. When Governor Stirling formed the Swan River Colony in 1829, he set aside land for public needs and this included a cemetery – the main burial ground for the colony until the end of the 19th century. Originally comprising of seven independently owned and managed cemeteries, it’s estimated there were 10,000 burials on the site.
The first burial in 1830 was Private John Mitchell of the 63rd Regiment.

The Alma Street Cemetery served Fremantle from 1831-1855. Fremantle Primary School now occupies the city block bounded by what are now Alma, Brennan, Stevens, and Attfield Streets.

The first recognised cemetery, the old burying ground in Alma Street, was opened in 1831, and was in use for over twenty years. After the opening of a cemetery in Skinner Street, the only interments permitted in Alma Street were those of persons who had near relatives buried there.

Sources


The Blechynden Story 101
Section 1 to Contents page ii Section 2 to WA Contents page iii
Return to top History





Collaboration
Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.