upload image

Bowersville, Ohio

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: [unknown] [unknown]
Location: [unknown]
This page has been accessed 33 times.
Maysville Street in Bowersville.

Bowersville was laid out in 1848, and named for Peter Bowermaster, one of the early settlers. The post office has been in operation since 1847.

The very first settler in Jefferson Township was Christopher Hussey, a native of Tennessee, who arrived about 1806 and settled in the immediate vicinity of Bowersville. He was born June 12, 1794 and he married Margaret Haughey, and with his wife had 9 children. Four of them are Nathan, Stephen, Jacob, and Christopher. After Margaret died, Mr. Hussey was married the second time, to Catharine Lockart and they had eleven children. Though Christopher died in March, 1873, his descendants are living on in Jefferson Township.

Soon after Hussey's arrived, he was followed by his son-in-law, John Mickle, who located southeast of Bowersville, on the site later occupied by John Johnson, and owned by Elias Vanneman.

Sources



This is an "orphaned" profile — there's no Profile Manager to watch over it. Please adopt this profile.


Collaboration
  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)


Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.