Surnames/tags: Boy One_Name_Studies
Jacob Boy, a "full-blooded German" born in 1752 in York County, Pennsylvania. It is believed his family was part of the Palatine Migration. There have been various speculations concerning the initial spelling of his surname including: Buch, Bauch, and Baugh.
Jacob migrated to Loudon County, Virginia where he enlisted in the Continental Army. After 1780, he settled along the Holston River in what is now Bluff City, Sullivan County, Tennessee. Some have theorized he heard about the area from the Overmountain Men at the Battle of King's Mountain.
The identity of his first wife has not been confirmed, she died sometime after 1780 most likely in Loudon County, Virginia. There are two known children from his first marriage, Adam Boy and Catherine (Boy) Funkhouser (both born in Virginia). He married Mary Drummond in 1796 in Sullivan County, Tennessee. There are seven known children from his second marriage: Andrew Boy, Elizabeth (Boy) Smith, Winifred (Boy) Shell, Sarah (Boy) White, Nancy (Boy) Mallonee, Jacob Boy Jr, and George Boy.
Jacob is buried in the Boy Family Cemetery located on a portion of his initial homestead. Portions of his original homestead are still owned by his descendants.
His descendants have gathered every year for over 70 years for a reunion.
- Adam Boy was born about 1770 in Loudon County, Virginia. He married Sarah Royston the daughter of Benjamin and Elizabeth Royston. They had the following known children:
- Catherine Boy was born about 1780 in Loudon County, Virginia. She married Henry Funkhouser. They had the following known children:
- John Jacob Funkhouser
- John Funkhouser
- Allen Funkhouser
- Andrew Boy was born in 1796 in Sullivan County, Tennessee. In 1818 he married Mary Hobaugh in Sullivan County, Tennessee. They had the following known children:
- Elizabeth Boy was born in 1798 in Sullivan County, Tennessee, She married William Smith in 1816. They had the following known children:
- Winifred (Boy) Shell was born in 1800 in Sullivan County, Tennessee. She married Andrew Shell. They had the following known children:
- Sarah Ann (Boy) White was born in 1803 in Sullivan County, Tennessee.
- Nancy A (Boy) Mallonee was born about 1806 in Sullivan County, Tennessee.
- Jacob Boy Jr was born about 1808 in Sullivan County, Tennessee. He married Ruth Mallonee in 1836 in Washington County, Tennesee. They had the following known children:
- Adam and Sarah (Royston) Boy stayed in Sullivan County
- Catherine and Henry Funkhouser moved their family to Washington County, Arkansas.
- Andrew and Mary (Hobaugh) Boy stayed in Sullivan County
- Elizabeth (Boy) Smith