Braemar (Scottish Gaelic: Bràigh Mhàrr)
Braemar is a village in Aberdeenshire around 58 miles (93 km) west of Aberdeen in the Highlands. It is the closest significant settlement to the upper course of the River Dee, sitting at an altitude of 339 metres (1,112 ft).
Historically the village is situated in the upper end of the historical Earldom of Mar. The use of Braemar to specifically refer to the village dates to around 1870.
Malcolm III with his first Queen came to the area around 1059 and, according to legend, held a great gathering at the original settlement of Doldencha, situated under the present-day graveyard. He is also credited with having built a timber bridge across the Clunie and the original Kindrochit Castle, located in a strategic relation to the crossings of the Grampian Mounth.
On 6 September 1715, John Erskine, Earl of Mar, raised the Jacobite standard at Braemar, instigating the 1715 rising against the Hanoverian Succession.
In 1795, a Roman Catholic chapel was built on the high-ground to the west of Auchendryne, giving the name to Chapel Brae which was being used as a school. []