The barque British Empire made numerous Voyages to the Australian Colonies in the 19th Century
Including the following voyages from the Passengers In History website,
From London & later Plymouth Wednesday, February 7, 1849 - to Melbourne Wednesday, June 6, 1849. (Carrying 245 Bounty Migrants)
From London Sunday, April 7, 1850 - to Port Adelaide Tuesday, August 13, 1850. Captain McEwan.
From Plymouth Tuesday, October 12, 1858 - to Moreton Bay Thursday, February 3, 1859. Captain Hains.
Sources & Passenger Lists
- British Empire from the Passengers in History website, an initiative of the South Australian Maritime Museum. first acceseed 15th of December, 2019 at: http://passengersinhistory.sa.gov.au/node/921705 & http://passengersinhistory.sa.gov.au/node/921707
- British Empire barque from the "Passengers to Port Phillip from Southern England & Ireland 1839-42" website, transcribed by Alexander Romanov-Hughes. first accessed 15th of December, 2019 at: https://www.portphillipdistrict.info/SE_and_I_Passenger_Lists_1849-51_056.htm
- NRS5316/4_4816/British Empire_6 Jun 1849/ from the Assisted Immigrants (digital) Shipping Lists on the New South Wales State Archives and Records website. first accessed 15th of December, 2019 at: http://indexes.records.nsw.gov.au/ebook/list.aspx?series=NRS5316&item=4_4816&ship=British%20Empire
- SHIPPING INTELLIGENCE. from the Adelaide Times (SA : 1848 - 1858) of Thursday 15 August 1850, Page 2. first accessed 15th of December, 2019 at: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/207118154?
- Passengers arriving 1850-08-14 in SA aboard the British Empire (640 t brq 1839) from London 50-04-18 via Plymouth, Captain Jas McEwen. from the Family History SA database (formerly Barry Leadbeater's) at: http://www.familyhistorysa.org/shipping/passengerlists.html
- 7/1850 - British Empire from the State Records of SA, Passenger Lists 1845 - 1940 at: https://www.archives.sa.gov.au/sites/default/files/documentstore/passengerlists/1850/GRG35_48_1_50-7_British%20Empire.pdf
- Results for South Australia, Passenger Lists 1847-1886 from the Find My Past website at: https://www.findmypast.com.au/search/results?datasetname=south+australia%2c+passenger+lists+1847-1886&shipname=british+empire
- Passengers for 08/04/1850 - 14/08/1850 from Passengers in History an initiative of the South Australian Maritime Museum at: http://passengersinhistory.sa.gov.au/voyage-passengers-all/944945/08/04/1850%20-%2014/08/1850?title=&page=1
- barque British Empire, 640 tons, Captain James McEwen, from London 18th April 1850 / Plymouth 30th April 1850, arrived at Port Adelaide, South Australia 14th August 1850. transcribed and submitted to The Ships List by Robert Janmaat at: http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/britishempire1850.shtml
- FIFTY YEARS AGO, Auckland Star, Volume LXI, Issue 37, 13 February 1930, Page 10. This was a reunion of passengers arriving in Auckland, New Zealand on 4 Feb 1880 aboard this ship.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)