Location: 5631 Broadway, Lancaster, NY
The house at 5631 Broadway was constructed prior to 1851. In 1857, Hendrik Koopmans purchased the property from James Bennet. Hendrik's wife, Tjietske, continued to occupy the house after his death in 1860. Following Tjietske's death in 1880, the house was owned by her son, Seth Koopmans, and he and his wife Charlotte lived there during the ensuing decades.
The 1892 New York State census lists the members of the household as:
- Seth H. Koopman, 47, born in Holland
- Charlotte E. Koopman, 40, born in England
- Charlotte Koopman, 7, born in United States
- Sara Smith, 22, born in Canada
This photo taken c. 1986 shows the building's original barn (since demolished) and a previous iteration of the porch.
- Deed from James Bennet to Henry T. Koopmans, 1 April 1857, book 179, page 325
- Building-Structure Inventory Form for 5631 Broadway, June 17, 1986
- 1892 New York State census; Lancaster, Erie, New York
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)