Brockway Cemetery, Stearns County, Minnesota

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: 1866
Location: Brockway Township, Stearns, Minnesota, United Statesmap
Profile manager: Kal Perry private message [send private message]
This page has been accessed 150 times.

work in progress


General Information

Cemetery name: Brockway Cemetery

Address: 5300 390th Street, Sartell, Minnesota

GPS Coordinates: 45.688823, -94.216785


The Township was organized in 1858, under the name of Winnebago. But it was changed to Brockway in 1860.
Brockway Township Cemetery is located in the eastern half of Brockway Township, in section 28, on 390th Street just west of County Road 1.
On April 17, 1866, J.E. Wing deeded land for the cemetery to the town of Brockway. Mr. Wing came west from Maine in 1863 and bought land in Brockway Township. He operated a large farm for 3 years before moving to St. Cloud.
Due to some inharmonious feeling, the cemetery was deeded to the Brockway Cemetery Association on May 21, 1878.
June 8, 1886: land was transferred to Brockway Cemetery Association from Charles S/Ella Mitchell and Frank Tolman. This is the 1st addition section of the cemetery.
Ralph W. Perry, used to relate how Brockway Cemetery was a burial spot of the first pioneers who settled in the community. He would tell of a severe diphtheria epidemic among these pioneers and of a family of six near St. Stephen, MN who were buried in one grave.
Many of the earlier graves were never marked, so it is hard to give the exact date of the first burial. But, the oldest marker in the cemetery is that of Asa R. McKusick, who died September 9, 1861 at the age of five years, six months.

Brockway Cemetery Association

At a meeting held at the Getchell School House District 7, on March 7, 1878, a group of men formed the Brockway Cemetery Association by the election of James L. Gray as Chairman and Joel Bailey as Secretary.

There were 19 men present;
James L. GrayWinslow GetchellR. L. RussellWilliam GordonBurton SmithJoel Bailey
Cary E. SmartJames F. StevensonJohn McGeeH. B. SmartA. W. GordonH. M. Fenlason
Appleton Webb E. J. SmartNathaniel GetchellJonathan CrosbyGeorge McGeeJ. B. Sartell
Amos McGee

On motion, they voted that the number of Trustees be six and that a committee of three be appointed by the Chair to report names to be balloted for as Trustees. The Chair appointed J.F. Stevenson, H.B. Smart and H.M. Fenlason to the committee.
The committee reported these 11 names to be balloted as Trustees: J.B. Sartell, R.L. Russell, William McNeil, James Y. Demeritt, S.C. Johnston, E.J. Smart, Appleton Webb, J.L. Gray, Johnathan Crosby, Nathaniel Getchell, and William Gordon.
N. Getchell and J.B. Sartell acted as Tellers, and the result of balloting elected these 6 men as the first Trustees; James L. Gray, R.L. Russell, E.J. Smart, N. Getchell, Johnathan Crosby, and William Gordon. On motion, they voted that the number of Trustees be increased to nine. And Appleton Webb, S.C. Johnston, and J.B. Sartell were elected and added.
The Chairman and (Clerk) Secretary proceeded to divide the Trustees into classes by lot.
Class 1, to serve 1 year ==> Getchell, Gray, Webb
Class 2, to serve 2 years==> Smart, Russell, Johnston
Class 3, to serve 3 years==> Gordon, Crosby, Sartell.
On motion, they voted that J.F. Stevenson, H.B. Smart and William Gordon be a committee to draft By-Laws. The annual meetings were to be held the first Monday in June. Surveying the cemetery grounds, it was found impractical to lay all of the ground out in lots 12 x 16 feet. The burying ground was divided into 95 blocks, some 16 x 16 feet, some 12 x 16 feet, and some 8 x 12 feet. A small portion was set apart for free burial.
1878. On motion, voted that lots on the main alley be sold be $1.25 per single burial, and that if anyone buys a whole block it shall be sold at the rate of $1.00 a lot or burial, and that lots in any other part of the yard shall be sold for $0.25 less a burial, and in the same manner viz, $0.75 and $1.00 single burial. No reduction to be made in the price for less than a one-half block.
1880. The Association voted that if 1/2 blocks were to be sold, the block would be divided into north 1/2 and south 1/2 units. In 1882, it was voted that no more 1/2 blocks be sold, except where some part of the block is already occupied.
1883. committee appointed to restake the cemetery.
1884. Expenses paid for costs of restaking the cemetery, $10.75.

More Information

  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.