Brooklin Maine

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: 9 Jun 1849
Location: Brooklin, Hancock County, Mainemap
Surnames/tags: One_Place_Studies Maine Hancock_County_Maine
This page has been accessed 126 times.
This profile is part of the Brooklin, Maine One Place Study.

Brooklin is a town in Hancock County, incorporated on June 9, 1849, under the name of Port Watson, from a portion of land set off from the town of Sedgwick. On July 23rd of the same year, its name was changed to Brooklin, named for the brook which formed the line (brook line) between the new town and Sedgwick.

Date Designation Note
-1534 Naskeag Wabanaki peoples - the Maliseet, Micmac, Passamaquoddy and Penobscot tribes
1534-1760Nouvelle FranceUnder French control, no known European settlers
1760Majabigwaduce Plantation, Lincoln, Massachusetts BayFrance surrenders September 8, 1760, Britain officially takes control of the area
1762 Several Land Grants were made from the Livermore Survey
      including: Township No. 4 EPR
Plantation No 4., Lincoln, Massachusetts BayPlantation No. 4 aka Naskeag Plantation from Township No. 4 EPR
1776Plantation No 4, Lincoln, Massachusetts America declares independence from Britain July 4, 1776
1789 Sedgwick, Lincoln, Massachusetts Sedgwick was incorporated January 14, 1789 from Plantation No. 4 aka Naskeag Plantation
1789 Sedgwick, Hancock, MassachusettsHancock County is formed June 25, 1789
1820Sedgwick , Hancock, MaineMaine becomes the 23 state March 15, 1820
1849Port Watson, Hancock, MainePort Watson Incorporated June 9, 1849 from a portion of Sedgwick
1849Brooklin, Hancock, MainePort Watson renamed Brooklin on July 23, 1849


Villages, Locations and Settlements

Villages, Locations
and Settlements
Bridges Point
Flye Point
Harriman Point
North Brooklin
West Brooklin

Historical Names

Name Note
Township No. 4 East of Penobscot River, Livermore Survey
Port Watson June 1849 to July 1849

Pioneer Settlers

Pioneer Settler Arrival Year
Allen, Nehemiah/span>Nehemiah Allen (1741-1802)
Babson, AbrahamAbraham Babson (1761-1839)1789
Babson, JohnJohn Babson (1768-1856)
Hooper, WilliamWilliam Hooper (abt.1766-1837) 1792
Reed, WilliamWilliam Reed Sr. (1729-1790) 1761
Hooper, WilliamWilliam Hooper (abt.1766-1837) 1792


The state of Maine lists over 18 Islands that are part of Brooklin Maine Islands

Islands Settler/Namesake/Note
Babson Island
Chatto Island
Flye Island
Green Island
Harbor Island
Hog Island
Little Babson Island
Mahoney Island
Torrey Island


Maps (Click an image for details)
Sedgwick and Brooklin
Brooklin Maine
Brooklin Maine

Broolin Maps available on other sites:


Varney's Gazetteer of the state of Maine has the following:
      Brooklin is the most southerly part of the mainland of Hancock County, being also near the western side. Sedgwick bounds it on the north-west, from which it extends southeastward into the sea, and north-eastward toward Bluehill Bay. It is 26 miles from Ellsworth and 50 from Bangor. The town has good harbors. In 1856, a lighthouse was erected on Flye's Ledges, but it does not now appear in the list of the national lighthouses. The town is rather rugged in its appearance, and its rocks show evidence of a paying deposit of phosphate of lime. The soil is gravelly, but strong and productive, and the inhabitants are giving more attention to agriculture than formerly. Hay is the principal crop ; and porgy chum has been largely used for dressing the land. There was formerly a large porgy business, but little is done in it at present. Smoked herring are produced in considerable quantities ; there is a lobster-canning factory, a barrel-factory, and the manufacture of boots and shoes is also quite a business. The first permanent settler of Brooklin was a Mr. Black. His daughter Elizabeth, the first child born in the town, lived to the age of one hundred and two years. In 1688, there were two families at Naskeag, Charles St. Robins and La Flour. Naskeag Point is frequently mentioned in documentary history, and there are -said to be "signs" of its occupation at a time and by a people now unknown. The territory of Brooklin was set off from Sedgwick, and incorporated in 1849 under the name of Fort Watson. One month later its name was changed to Brooklin.
      There are in the town nine stores of general goods, one of fancy, and one of millinery goods. The town-hall is a large building of three stories, crowned with a mansard roof. The Baptists have a very good church edifice, that is much frequented. Brooklin has nine public schoolhouses, valued at $4,500. The valuation of estate in 1870 was $186,899. In 1880 it was $177,534. The rate of taxation in 1880 was 414.50 on $1,000. The population in 1870 was 966. In 1880 it was 977.

Additional Resources

  • Fish, E. S. 1876. History of Brooklin: an address delivered at Brooklin, Maine, July 4, 1876. Bangor, Me: Burr & Robinson. (Portland Public Library)
  • Limeburner, Grace M. 1952. Brooklin, Maine: all vital statistics recorded on town books prior A.D. 1860. Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah. (Bangor Public Library, Maine State Library, Family History Library)
  • Limeburner, Grace M. Grindle. 1991. Brooksville, Brooklin, Sedgwick, Bluehill and Surry, Maine: notes. [North Brooksville, Me.]: [G. Limeburner].
  • Varney, George J. 1886. Gazetteer of the state of Maine: with numerous illustrations.


Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.