Surnames/tags: Bruce de Bruges de Brus
This is a One Name Study to collect together in one place everything about one surname and the variants of that name. Bruce..... The hope is that other researchers like you will join our study to help make it a valuable reference point for people studying lines that cross or intersect.
How to Join
Please contact the project coordinator David Urquhart or post a comment to the right. If you have any questions, just ask. Thanks!
- The Bruce family has it's Origins in Normandy France and the original ancestor of the Bruce family in Scotland was the second son of Robert de Bruges.
- Sources disagree on the name of this son, be it Adelm, Adam, Allan or Robert, but most agree that he was the second son.
- This second son came to England with William the Conqueror in 1066.
Bruce Family Hierarchy
- Bruce of Skelton, Norfolk, England.
- Bruce of Annandale, Scotland, which includes Carrick, Connington, Exton.
- Bruce of Clackmannan, which includes Wester Kennet.
- Bruce of Rait & Fingask, which includes Cultmalundy and Spoutwalls.
- Bruce of Muness & Urie.
- Bruce of Sumbergh & Symbister, which includes Braewick and Burravoe.
- Bruce of Blairhall, Kinloss & Elgin, Carnock & Kincardine, which includes Ailesbury, Belcaskie and Kinross.
- Bruce of Broomhall & Kincardine.
- Bruce of Kennet, which includes Garlet.
- Bruce of Stanstill, Lyth & Ham which includes Hastigrow and Seater.
- Bruce of Airth & Stenhouse.
- Bruce of Newton, Downhill & Kinnaird which includes Killeleagh and Cowden.
- Bruce of Earlshall & Auchenbowie, which includes Pitlethie.
The Bruce Family
- Marjorie Bruce or Stewart daughter of King Robert.
- John Bruce of Airth who married Margaret Elphinstone.
- John Bruce, 5th of Clackmannan
- David Bruce, 6th of Clackmannan I believe his two wives, both Mariot Herries..are incorrect, according my research, so far, they are both of different and incorrect fathers.
- Edward Bruce, 1st of Kinnaird his descent line has members who are INCORRECT !!!
- William Bruce this line is a mess and connected incorrectly, unless I am shown proof that I am wrong?
- Alexander Bruce apparently of Kildrummy according to PM. Jeanne Solity.
- Andrew his son
- George ,son of Andrew
- and George, Andrew's 1st son
- Alexander, Andrew's 2nd son Well,,,maybe not.
- Apparently Kildrummy descends from Kinnaird who descend from Stenhouse and Airth.
- and last but not least..the connection to Australia.
- Louisa Tidball Palmer Bruce who married Gordon Bruce...
- Sir David Stewart of Rosyth orphan who married a Bruce and needs work.
- Archibald Bruce another orphan who need work
- James Bruce and family..all orphaned..needs work.
- Andrew Horsburgh Bruce and his spouse, Ann Fenwick. Died in Western Australia.
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: David Urquhart and One Name Studies WikiTree. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)